long-lived chrysler

I drove an old lady's Chrysler minivan last night that had 191K miles on it. It was one of those that has thin headlights, mid-90's model I think. Anyway I was rather impressed with its solidness and lack of rattles, squeaks, clunks, etc. She was the third owner and said all she had to have done other than routine maintenance was a fuel pump and brakes. It still had good pep and the transmission shifted smoothly.

By contrast my 97 Camry has many rattles, squeaks, shot struts and other things with 135K miles on it. When I bought it at 62K miles it was blowing smoke and had to have the engine rebuilt by the dealer. It has been mostly good since then other than the noises.

Of course this doesn't mean I will buy a Chrysler but hopefully the quality of domestic brands has improved since I last owned one. If you were to buy a domestic brand today what would it be?

Reply to
badgolferman

If you mean cars that are built in the U.S., I buy Toyota. I do own a @%&%$^#! Ford F 250 SD. The ONLY reason I own it is that the Toyota trucks unfortunately do not have the capacity I require at times.

Reply to
user

Try driving behind that van. Even 2-3 year old Chrysler van engines stink like a 40 year old car. Oil, or something. Rumor has it that certain engine parts were made of cardboard.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Well, we had a '92 in '94, and I have mentioned the two '92 Grand V'Gers I've had in the last 3-4 years. Yeah, not bad. One had a rebuilt tranny, but had been fed ATF+3 after the replacement.

And I still lament trading my LHS for the Scion for only $600. Should have kept it and just ponied up the $600 myself. It was a nice car!

Reply to
hachiroku

Ford.

Reply to
Ray O

The bad van engines were made in Japan by Mitsubishi for Chrysler. They were the ones with the blue smoke. The US built engines are just fine. Noisier than Toyota and Honda engines but the van engines hold up great. The only problem engine they had in recent years was the 2.7 with a sludge problem but Toyota had its own sludge problems too. Chrysler fixed it with a newly designed PCV system.

Reply to
Art

but how many transmissions/engines/... did the prvious 2 owners replace on it ?

Reply to
RT

I think I'd buy another Ford product. I bought a brand new 2000 Merc Grand Marquis and I love it. This is after owning 3 mid-90's Chrysler products and replacing/rebuilding the transmissions in all three before they hit 70k miles. The Merc is an old fashioned design with nothing newer than multi-port fuel injection. It's a 1940's design, push-rod V-8 updated with electronic engine management. It's a rear wheel drive platform with a solid feel and fair handling / ride. It has required absolutely no major maintenance, not even tune-ups in the seven years and 55k miles that I've owned it.

My only complaint is that it only gets around 28 to 29 mpg on the highway. That's why we also own an '07 Toyota Corolla.

Jack

Reply to
Must be Me

Does your Merc have the Grand Marquis have the upgraded suspension, whatever they call it?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

that was someone who didnt take care of your camry...

Reply to
Bitter Mavs Fan

Ford has had plenty of time to work out any bugs and refine those cars, and they are a pretty good bargain.

Reply to
Ray O

Fords are pretty decent cars. I worked for a used car dealer and we sold mostly Fords, and if I couldn't afford a Toyota, I'd be looking at a Ford next.

And considering the size of the car, your mileage isn't bad. I had an '88 Honda brand new that got similar mileage (er, at 75 MPH on the highway...) But that's not bad, all things considered.

Reply to
Hachiroku

It's the 'police package', although they call it something like the 'performance package'.

If you get the upgraded suspension, the towing package, and opt for the HO engine, you essentially have a police car!

And they handle GREAT!

What I'm wondering is, does he have the de Sade option? ;)

Reply to
Hachiroku

Yeah, I test drove one. Very nice handling. But, at the time, they weren't offering it without a package of other stuff including leather seats. There's something about the smell of Ford leather seats that reminds me of of puke. I don't know why. Leather seats in a Lexus or Mercedes don't have that kind of smell.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

It musy have been a "Dealer Package" deal. The last time I looked, (1993) you could get velour seats with climate control and AM/FM/CD. $16,950. Nice car.

We took out a 'plain' Crown Vic, and on the ramp up to the highway I was squealing the tires at 30 MPH. When we went back and got the "Touring suspension" AND the towing package and the H.O. engine (read:cruiser...) we took the same ramp at 47MPH!!!

Reply to
Hachiroku

I checked in 2002. No such package, unfortunately. That was also the year the exploding gas tank feature was in the news, although it only partially dissuaded me. I generally don't park with the car halfway into the traffic on highways, like cops do.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

No it doesn't, at least it wasn't listed on the window sticker. I think they call it the police package and it includes a higher ratio rear end, stiffer springs and heaver roll bars.

Jack

Reply to
Must be Me

I don't know what the de Sade option is so I guess I don't. I will say that it doesn't put me through Hell. ;)

Jack

Reply to
Must be Me