Missing airbag thoughts

Hi everyone,

I'm a newbie Celica owner as of Saturday. I purchased a 1995 2D Celica liftback GT as a 2nd car with commuting & gas saving in mind (normally drive a 2001 Dodge Ram 2500 to pull a horse trailer).

The car has had a front-end collision. Parts were replaced but the engine looks excellent. The airbag deployed.. the car looks fine now and performance wise, it's been running great (in the 3 days I've had it anyway).

I'm debating if I should replace the airbag or not. I know this is a pricey fix.

Background info, I'm a 5'1ish gal, and I've heard airbags can actually cause more harm than good for height disadvantaged people. I got a great deal on the car, spent $2200 and got all the service records (previous owner was extremely organized). My top budget was $2K looking for a commuter but came across this car and decided to go for it. So I'm spending more than I wanted, but looks wise the car is sweet, and hopefully a newer engine will last a while.

Your thoughts? Would you get the airbag replaced?

Reply to
JuniperTree

I've gotten along just fine in my '92 Corolla Wagon without an airbag for 208,000 miles. Of course my car never had one.

I think I'd talk to your automobile insurance person and see if they require you to have all the safety equipment installed.

Me? I'm happy I don't have a 'bomb' in my steering wheel....

Reply to
Scott in Florida

In message news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, Scott in Florida sprach forth the following:

But you're happy dropping bombs on innocent civilians.

Reply to
Fred Garvin, Male Prostitute

Um, I think it's Federally mandated that the air bag be reinstalled. I know here in Mass you can't get a car inspected to go back on the road after a collision without replacing the bag (Is this car *registered*? If so, HOW?!)

Google Toyoa Celica Airbag. We used to get them for as low as $25. In one case, we bought a whole car (Town Car) for $200, 'cause the airbag alone was $750...

Reply to
Hachiroku

I would. The injuries you can get in a crash are worse than the damage done by an air bag.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

I dont think being 5'1 is the culprit but rather short people who tend to drive very close to the steering wheel. Now about replacing it well... If the DMV doesn't require it, then I dont need it. : )

Reply to
EdV

Any place that repaired a collision-damaged car without replacing a deployed airbag may not have done that good a repair job. Sure, the car may look nice, but it may have been improperly spliced together with another car and can literally crack apart in a crash.

Have you thought of installing pedal extensions so you don't have to sit as closely to the steering wheel?

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly

maybe im wrong about this, i dont know.. but i dont think your airbag is going to hurt you so long as you have your belt on.

Reply to
GO Mavs

My mother-in-law is quite incapable of hurting me with or without my belt on.

Reply to
witfal

Not if you hit her in the head with a bat first. Think on your feet... Swing away!

Reply to
GO Mavs

Good line. Swing away. Right from Gibson's "Signs". Hmmm.

Alien invasion...mother-in-law...might explain behavior...

Reply to
witfal

When the airbag deployed, it would have torn the cover and the spent airbag would be hanging down from the center of the steering wheel. Is the airbag missing or cut away now? If the center of the steering wheel looks normal, then the airbag was probably already replaced. Does the airbag warning light illuminate briefly when you turn the ignition key to the on position? If so, then the airbag system is probably functioning properly and does not need replacement. An airbag replacement will probably cost in the neighborhood of $1000 so think carefully.

Reply to
Ray O