Missing model number

Recently bought a 1990 Celica GTi 4WS convertible. It was imported to the UK as new. I need a new exhaust and have been told the supplier needs the model number to know which one to supply. Unfortunately, it appears the ID plate is missing from the bulkhead, although the VIN is stamped in.

So I have no model number, but perhaps it is possible to rebuild the number giving the information. Clearly I know almost all of the paramters that would make up the number if only I knew (excatly) how to code the number.

There are several posts regarding bits and pieces - telling people what their model number means, but I need to do the reverse - determine the model number, knowing the details of the car.

Can anyone help?

Regards,

Richard.

Reply to
Richard Swinfen

Unfortunately, it is not possible to determine the model number solely from the VIN. To make things a little more confusing, Toyota uses several different model identifiers in the U.S.; they probably do the same worldwide. There is a model number with 4 numerical characters plus 1 alpha character. The model number identifies the series (i.e., Celica, Camry, Corolla, etc.) and trim/engine/body style/transmission and price level (to account for price increases through out the year). This system is mostly used by the sales department to track sales.

Another model identifier is all alpha characters and is 6 or 7 characters after the series identifier. This also identifies series, trim, transmission, body style, etc.

Hopefully, your exhaust supplier is not looking for an actual model number, just a series. If that is the case, you can get that from the 17 digit VIN. Ignore the first 3 characters in the VIN (JT5) and use the next 4 characters, i.e. ST65.

Hope this works!

Reply to
Ray O