MR2

Can anyone give me a bit of advise..... I recently had a little scrape in my MR2 and it went to the garage for repair. The damage was not done at any speed..just a little scrape. I collected the car to find that the steering was terrible. It was stiff one minute, loose the next and at times uncontrolled. I took it back and they said they didnt know what was wrong with it. I took it to the Toyota garage and they have told me the steering column has gone. I have had no problems with the steering whatsoever beforehand. Can anyone tell me if the steering column can go, just like that, having been in the garage for a few days or am I right in thinking that something like this would go over a course of time and experiencing at least some problems

Reply to
TERRI

Actually, it is the u-joints on the steering column that are beginning to bind, not the steering column itself. One some cars, the u-joint comes with the column, so the entire column has to be replaced. This tends to happen over the course of time but often it seems to appear suddenly. The complaints of stiff steering always seem to appear suddenly so the stay in the body shop was probably a co-incidence, or maybe sitting without being moved for a few days aggravated the condition.

I would take the car to a Toyota dealer - not just a garage or shop that specializes in Toyota repair and ask politely for goodwill assistance if the car is out of warranty and the steering is a safety-related condition. Screaming generally will get you nothing, like getting bees with honey instead of vinegar. Sometimes the dealer can get authorization to do the entire repair at no charge, especially if you are a regular service department customer or 50% or they pay for parts and you pay for labor.

Reply to
Ray O

In a word, yes it's possible.

Here's why. the steering column has a u-joint or two in it. The design of the car requires the steering box or rack to not be on a straight line to the steering wheel, which must be placed as near as practical to directly in front of you, and parallel to your body. Since the steering wheel has to be in front of you, the the steering box or rack is nearer to the centerline of the car, there needs to be a universal joint or two built into the steering column.

It is a coincidence that the trouble started while the car was in for repairs. The joints are not terribly expensive, and it is reasonable that you should be able to replace them at home with common tools. If you haven't the skill set or inclination, then you will have to pay for repairs.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland