My son hates my car...don't start with me, Scott and Gord!

No, he didn't have an accident, but I sent him to get gas for the lawn mower, and that brain donor put the can in the back, without putting it in a garbage bag, box, or something, so when it leaked (You just knew it would), it saturated my spare tire tarp, and now the whole damned car smells like a gas pump. I took it out, sprinkled baking soda on the tarp to soak some of the gas up (For about an hour), then I shook that out, and threw it into the washer - three times. No luck - any ideas of how to make my tarp usable again, or should I just get another one? LOL

I'm scrubbing the tire cover surfaces, so that's no problem. Luckily, the weather has been mild enough to do without the A/C

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll®

Try brake cleaner (comes in an aerosol can at auto parts stores) or GoJo liquid hand cleaner (pumice free). Both dissolve grease and gas, then follow up with Simple Green or carpet shampoo.

Gas might dissolve a garbage bag. Next time, try a box with a thick layer of newspaper or cat litter to absorb any spills.

By the way, if gasoline got on the spare tire, I'd get a new one!

Reply to
Ray O

I don't think it did, but I'll check.

Thanks for the advice!

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll®

Hang it over a back fence or somesuch...the wind will clean it after awhile. My grandson set a two gallon gas container in my trunk, I said, are all the caps on tight?...Yep he says...we drove to my house (you too know what's coming here). The little cap that covers the vent wasn't on and the Corolla's trunk got washed.

I gave him a lecture about being 'responsible' and the consequences of not being so, we removed the fibre linings for the trunk and hung them on the patio , It took about a week in the sun and breeze to destink them...he was genuinely sorry and I figured the bother was worth it for the lesson it gave him, he's really quite a good lad actually.

Reply to
Gord Beaman

Oh boy...

So's Craig - I did put it out on one of my deck benches. I'll leave it there for a while - thanks!

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll®

You're welcome! Good luck!

Reply to
Ray O

Do you buy new tires every time you drive through a puddle with gasoline in it?

Reply to
someone

Driving through a puddle with gasoline in it is not the same as having the tire sit in a well soaking in gas. The gas in a puddle is diluted and the rotation of the tire will remove the gas. If the tire sat soaking in a puddle of gas in the spare tire well, then I would not trust that tire if it was my car.

Reply to
Ray O

Which is quite different from getting a little bit of gas splashed on the tire that evaporates fairly rapidly.

Considering that many of your fuel hoses and fuel tank gaskets are made from rubber that normally soaks in gasoline 24/7/365.25, even though they're a different rubber compound, I wouldn't freak out if the spare tire got some gas on it. Now if the tire was soaking for a month I might be worried.

If tires were damaged that easily and quickly by a chemical compound normally found in and around cars (IE gasoline), they would have long ago modified the tire rubber or the gasoline to avoid the conflict.

The worst I can see is if the tire soaks in gasoline for a long time period the natural waxes in the rubber that protect the tire will get leached out, and the tire will oxidize and dry-rot somewhat faster. But it isn't going to grenade on you.

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

It's moot for me, anyway, since the tires were untouched - there wasn't really any gas on the spare tire cover either - only the tarp

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll®

forget next time.

Also, please educate him about static electricity and filling gas cans - a mistake here can be fatal or very, very, very painful. Remove the gas can from the car trunk/truck bed and place on ground before filling. Do not wiggle on the fabric car seats or rub your woolen mittens together before grabbing either the gas can or nozzle. By the way - the cell phone ringing proved to be an urban myth. Playing with your Tasar while filling up is a dumb idea :-)

Reply to
ma_twain

LOL He's already really upset about it, but I doubt it's cuz I was upset - it's because he drives the car too :-P

Yeah, the "Mythbusters" guys debunked that cell phone thing, but I knew better anyway, since you see people on theirs at every freaking pump! As for the gas thing - I think I'll pick the gas up next time, and just leave the mowing to Craig...

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll®