Mystery with 2002 Camry Key

My wife's 2002 Camry came with two keys, a main key and a valet key. The valet key is the same as the main key but it will not unlock the glove box.

We misplaced the main key last year, and have been using the valet key. Yesterday we found the main key. It unlocks the doors, trunk & glove box, and fits into the ignition and makes the starter engine crank.

But the car won't start, the motor will not catch, as if there is no gas. Then I try the valet key again, and it starts right up!

What accounts for this? Anyone know?

BC keyed up

Reply to
BCDrums

Did you read the owner's manual to your car?

It's covered in there.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

Maybe the poor fellow lost his manual along with his keys. What then?

Reply to
mack

Well so it is!

Our car does have the Immobilization System, and that must be the problem. I was surprised that the starter would crank. Apparently the IS operates after the starter.

So I suppose our master key is no longer recognized by the IS. I wonder why not, and whether the dealer will charge an arm and a leg to re-set the master key.

Thanks for the lead.

BC

Reply to
BCDrums

Thanks for your concern. I did feel like the teacher had caught me not doing my homework.

BC studious

Reply to
BCDrums

Doesn't really make sense though. If you never took the car for a replacement key and reprogram, the old master key should still work. I assume you never did anything after losing the key.. Myself, I hate the IS... I have it on mine, and I think it's fairly useless.. The only thing it's good for is leaving you totally stranded if you lose the key, and providing the dealer with a way to bend you over for a replacement key.. You gotta buy the key blank, and then have it programmed. Usually about a 100 bucks, but I've seen one dealer ask about

120 total.. BTW, if you lose all the keys, you have to replace the whole freaking IS... According to yota anyway.. MK
Reply to
nm5k

The IS system prevents a lot of cars from being stolen. Even with a key copy, or hot-wiring the ignition wires, the car will not start. In fact, I get a 5% insurance discount for having this system in my car. My dealer charges $50.- to re-program such a key.

Good luck.

Morton

Reply to
Morton