The drama ratchets up

Apr 28, 11:12 AM (ET)

By KASIE HUNT

WASHINGTON (AP) - President Bush should sign legislation starting the withdrawal of U.S. troops from Iraq on Oct. 1, retired Army Lt. Gen. William Odom said Saturday.

"I hope the president seizes this moment for a basic change in course and signs the bill Congress has sent him," Odom said, delivering the Democrats' weekly radio address.

Odom, an outspoken critic of the war who served as the Army's top intelligence officer and headed the National Security Agency during the Reagan administration, delivered the address at the request of House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif. He said he has never been a Democrat or a Republican.

The general accused Bush of squandering U.S. lives and helping Iran and al-Qaida when he invaded Iraq.

"The challenge we face today is not how to win in Iraq; it is how to recover from a strategic mistake: invading Iraq in the first place," he said. "The president has let (the Iraq war) proceed on automatic pilot, making no corrections in the face of accumulating evidence that his strategy is failing and cannot be rescued. He lets the United States fly further and further into trouble, squandering its influence, money and blood, facilitating the gains of our enemies."

Odom said he doesn't favor congressional involvement in the execution of foreign and military policy, but argued that Bush had been derelict in his responsibilities. This week Congress passed an Iraq war spending bill that would require Bush to begin withdrawing troops from Iraq on Oct. 1.

Reply to
tak

All true. Too bad that our friends on the right who are in denial can't see it.

Reply to
Truckdude

Sorry about the missing OT. You are so right about denial by our right wing posters. Bush, otoh, is cynically playing for time til it won't be his problem anymore. Although, he has never seemed too involved or troubled with Iraq.

Reply to
tak

Call him back in and send him to the front lines. He knows so much....

Reply to
Scott in Florida

More knowledge than you, who has as much knowledge of military planning as a bag of hammers.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

What's he running for on the dim ticket? More importantly who's he getting paid by? DNC perhaps? How cozy.

Reply to
dbu.,

Translation: Anyone with more knowledge than you must be crooked.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

More knowledge than Harry S. Truman?

Reply to
Scott in Florida

How sure are you that he is not on the DNC payroll?

Reply to
dbu.,

I have no idea, and neither do you. But, he *does* have far more military experience than you do. That's all you need to be concerned with.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

We have to first follow the money, if that's possible. We would then learn of the motive. I have my suspensions about this guy. DNC??

Reply to
dbu.,

You have your WHAT about this guy?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Maybe he was attempting to get the thread a bit on topic? ;-)

Cathy

Reply to
Cathy F.

If you have one of your little students fix dbu's choice of words, I'll send the kid ten bucks, and I'm serious. But hush for now, OK?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Bush will veto the dimmies surrender bill. This guy is for surrender. Wake up before it's too late.

Reply to
dbu.,

You should nip a little bit of that joy juice. LOL.

Reply to
dbu.,

Yeah. The heels of all of his shoes must need cleaning.

This guy is for surrender.

This guy - along with a whole lot of other people - is for acting in a rational manner in the face of a situation that is beyond military action.

Have you noticed "suspensions" instead of "suspicions"? ;-P

Cathy

Reply to
Cathy F.

I asked you a question. You have your WHAT about this guy?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

I am thankful we have a president who does not care about his own personal legacy as did clinton and that he stands up for the U.S. against the terrorists. We/you should feel lucky we have such a person in the White House. The rest of the dims are all cowardly, look after their own asses and can't find their way in the dark. They are a hopeless bunch.

Reply to
dbu.,

You are drunk again. Come back tomorrow.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom