1991 cabroilet key ?

Hi guys and gals, great group. I just got me a 91 caby and I only got one key to it, it fits the ignition and the door but when I try to put it in the trunk or the glove box lock it only goes in about a little ways and wont work.

What im thinking is there is suppose to be a second key that fits the glove box and the trunk am I right?

The previous owner says they only got one key and never could lock the trunk or GB.

Im real excited to get on with playing withe my caby as Ive been looking for one for a long while, it needs back brakes and maybe shocks and a little fine tunning but is in a-1 shape other wise. OHH by the way its a automatic and has a diffrencial plug, what goes in there 80- 90w. gear oil?

Im trying now to locate me a 91 cabriolet shop manual and havent had any luck yet.

any and all tips and info would be appreciated expecialy the Info on the key.

Great group, Im a old bug lover have had about 10 bugs over the years, have made vw pickup out of bug, made several dune buggy versions , I really love the little vws.

This little caby reminds me a lot of the vw bug convertable, of which I never had the chance to own

Sorry for the long post but Im excited to have found one,and it only has

77000 miles on it too.

feel free to email me on any imfo you may have or post back here.

Thanks bunches all.

Bat-Man

Reply to
Bat- Man

I've never tried locking the glovebox on my '89 Jetta so I can't comment on that, but they key should fit the trunk unless the original owner had it re-keyed. My guess is that some rust has built up in the latch--if you're up to it, remove the trim and latch, clean thoroughly and apply a little grease. Although a little WD40 and several in's and out's with the key *may* do the trick.

Actually, it's in A2 shape. ;-)

Reply to
Darryl

Reply to
Randolph

Funny, but it actually is in A1 shape, the A2 was never made into a convertible, they kept making the A1 convertible alongside the A2 non-convertibles. The current convertible is an A3, even though the regular Golf and Jetta is A4, and Europe has gotten the A5 already.

Reply to
Randolph

One key should do everything unless the car's locks have been (partially) re-keyed.

Reply to
Matt B.

I agree.

The valet key, assuming it is the same method as other years, has the same cut shape as the regular key. But the blank lacks a groove where a lock piece needs to slide. So you can't even put the key into the glove box lock. It is possible the valet key has its wider spot a little closer to the tip -- I can't find my valet key at the moment.

A locksmith, or even a cooperative key machine operator can copy from the exiting key to the other blank. I would line up the tips of the key rather than the shoulder they usually index to.

One Cole blank I have has these numbers: AU8, V35, and X139 and says it fits Audi. That came from a Sears hardware-- where they seem to be more inclined to be helpful than some places.

Reply to
Tom's VR6

You guys had to be right, guess what just happened.

I went to walmart and had two keys cut off the one key I had and when I got home of course I tried them in the cabby to see if they worked, not only did they work they locked and unlocked both the trunk and the glove box, go figure.

I guess the little diffrence of the cut on the machine made the 2 she cut a main key, so I proved your point.

THANKS Millions guys sure am glad to have that problem solved

Thanks again Bat_man

Reply to
Bat- Man

Huh, I thought all...err...>'85 were considered A2's. Oh well, back to the...drawing board?

Reply to
Darryl

the...drawing board?

Not the convertible. it continued with new badges but the same A1 Golf/Rabbit body style.

Reply to
Matt B.