Nascar

Has anyone seen the specs on the 2007 Camry they will be running in Nascar?

Reply to
FantomFan

Yeah, I think they're using the 2GR-FE from the 07 model.

Reply to
qslim

I doubt that they'll get enough HP out of a V-6 - probably use the V-8 like they developed for truck series

Reply to
ron

I'd think that other factors -- displacement chief among them

-- would matter a lot more than the number of cylinders where making power is concerned.

I seem to recall an engine known as the Offenhauser that was rather well-regarded in Indy 500 circles, which had only four cylinders and was competitive well into the 1970s. (The last Offenhauser-powered car to race in the Indy 500 ran as recently as 1980.)

Geoff

Reply to
Geoff Miller

That is correct. My thought was when they have a v-8 that is developed and can propel trucks that are similar in weight to the Nextel car @ 3000lbs plus, why try to develop a smaller displacement engine. Indy cars if I remember weigh about 1300 lbs and do quite well with v-6 power (or even 4 bangers as you said)

Reply to
ron

Nextel Cup requires cam-in-block pushrod engines with carburetors so the Toyota entry will be powered that way, with a 358 CID V-8 engine.

Reply to
Ray O