nationwide service records?

When buying a "certified" used car from a dealer, shouldnt the dealer be able to look up the car's VIN on a nationwide service database? I know that Honda does it, and certainly the technology is available. My dealer says that they cant do it, and cant tell me of the service history of the car either Toyota service or otherwise...does this seem right?

jim

Reply to
jimc

Each Toyota dealer is an independent franchisee and many use data systems from outside vendors. Dealers can check VIN's to see if special service campaigns ("recalls") have been performed and whether the vehicle is still under warranty based on the date of first use. If the previous owner went to an independent garage or some place like Jiffy Lube, then none of that information would be in Toyota's database.

Even Honda would have no way to access information if service or repair work is performed at an independent shop or at home by the previous owner.

Reply to
Ray O