New 2009 Corolla Steering Problems

If you generally drive at speeds above 35 MPH, why not?

Reply to
Mike Hunter

I've been watching this, and myself, I think it's an alignment problem of some kind. There is really no way that just the use of an electric P/S pump alone should cause road wander. I suppose anything is possible, but I just don't see it myself. I'm assuming that the electric version is variable, same as the older belt driven version. So lets say the electric version was pulsing, or whatever. That alone should not cause steering wander. It would only cause a change in the perceived feel in the steering. IE: a variable ratio system will "tighten up" at road speeds to give the feel of a manual system. Even if the pump was causing a pulse effect or whatever, that should not cause the steering to wander. It would just feel weird. In the past, no matter what kind of assist system used, if one told me they had a steering wander problem, my first thoughts would be an alignment problem. And if not that, possibly the tires themselves. But I'd be suspecting alignment first. IE: might need more positive caster as Ray O said. That three others did not do this tends to back up that it's not a design fault of the assist system. If it were, they would all do it, as well as most Prius's, and others that use the electric assist. I can't say about the "normal" feel, as I've never driven an 09 Corolla yet.. But.. The guy next door has one.. Maybe I'll pick his brain next time I see him. But I haven't noticed any indication that his is having problems. And... they also have a older one too, maybe a 05-06, so they will know how both models compare as far as normal feel.. If I see him, I'll ask him how they compare as far as feel and if any wander issues. I know my 05 does not wander, and I assume the alignment is set to normal specs being it does not eat tires, etc.. Anyway, I don't see how the pump should be causing this. I'd be looking hard at the alignment. They may have to tweak it a bit from the stock settings to get rid of the wander, but normally using the exact specified settings should not cause a problem. I'm sure the engineers have looked into all that when they designed it. If nothing seems to work as far as setting the alignment, at that point I'd consider rotating the tires just to make sure it's not some kind of tire issue. But historically, road wander has always been due to an alignment problem.

Reply to
nm5k

wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@x10g2000yqk.googlegroups.com... On Feb 21, 1:15 pm, "Toyota Driver" wrote:

[...]

*********** Good explanation, more than I was willing to type at the time I suggested adding more positive caster.

The electric PS is not a pump. Instead, it has some kind of motor or servo assist mounted on the rack like the type used on electric forklifts.

Reply to
Ray O

Thanks Ray and NM5K, (and Jack)

The Toyota dealer says my alignment to fine. It's just something normal (New) for the Toyota 2009 Corolla. They said by changing to the new EPS steering they gained about 3 MPG. It's only on a few of the 2009 Corollas. I am now guessing it's the tires stretching when they hit the road. Tires are OEM Goodyear Eagles RSA 205/55R16 .

thanks guys..

Reply to
Toyota Driver

snip

Ray is correct, this system is not similar to the older electric pump systems. They have replaced the hydraulic pump, plumbing and double action cylinder with an electric servo controlled by the computer. The advantage is a weight savings for the manufacturer that will increase the C.A.F.E.

If both front and rear wheel alignment is within specs and the tires are not defective, then I think the problem is going to be with the amount of system resources the computer is able to devote to steering assist. This is not a problem that the dealer is going to be able to correct, except by replacing the car.

Jack j

Reply to
Retired VIP

Because it might work well with one type of tire, but not another. You can't offer blanket advice like that.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Thanks Jack J...

I will see what they say..

thanks

Reply to
Toyota Driver

.

But I still wonder.. How will that make a car wander around in it's track? Unless maybe it's pulsing or something and actually pushing the steering rack around? That would be a design problem there.. So Toyota Driver, if I understand this right, this is brand new on not on the earlier 09's that came out? That would explain why the others didn't do it, and that one does, if that's the case. If this really is a design quirk, I agree, not much way to fix, except push for a different car.

I'm kinda glad I have a 05 I think.. Don't have to worry about that, and the older 03-08 version gets better mpg too.. Even with the extra 3 mpg they might gain, they will still be lucky to beat my 05, unless the new ratings show the estimated mileage as much worse than it really is.. IE: I think they rate highway mpg as 35 with the new ratings. They used to rate the older version at 41 mpg, which actually was fairly accurate unless one was a lead foot.

The last time I went up north, I was getting 43.28 mpg when doing 65 mph at night. And that loaded up with a lot of camping stuff, and a lawnmower in the trunk.. And I get about the same thing every time.. A/C on or off, doesn't matter too much.. I leave here from Houston with a topped off tank, and I refill in Anna TX which is north of Dallas. I still have almost a half tank at that point. It took me about 6.7 gallons to top off last time, which is 43.28 mpg. :) And yes, the cruise is on the whole way. I run my tires at about 30-32 psi cold..

Sounds like they might need to design a stand alone puter to deal with that steering, if it's being cramped for resources.

Reply to
nm5k

Hello MM5K,

I think it's a design issue and it's an 2009 Corolla with the new EPS. I hope Toyota CSR calls back soon. Since it's still at the Toyota shop.

[...]

I am glad I am not the only one that had the power steering problem, too. I am sure they will fix the problem with a software update for the 2009 Toyota Corolla.

Reply to
alexgarza55

Thanks Ransley,

I got my car FIX!!!! The EPS Power Steering just had to be centered. (via reloading data in the steering wheel)

Life is now good!

NHTSA is a good idea. My neighbor is a Chicago newspaper auto columnist, tell em your friend is one and this is a good NEWSPAPER Story.

Reply to
USA