New initiate to OIL CHANGE CLUB

Hmm, that is a lot faster than removing all of the bolts from the transmission oil pan in the Escort, which does not have a drain. I may give that a try next time.

Reply to
Ray O

I don't know which automakers that recommend an oil extractor to change the oil, but there are some applications where an extractor is the most practical way to change the oil, like a marine inboard motor where there isn't enough clearance to put a drain pan under the motor.

Reply to
Ray O

If you are using an OEM filter, I doubt if the grit was actually in the oil.

If you look at Amsoil's web page for their ASK oil:

say that it is recommended for use for various certifications but if you read carefully, they do not say who is recommending the oil (I suspect that it is Amsoil and not the automakers) and they do not say that the oil actually meets those certifications. Most oil suppliers will say that their oil meets this or that certification. If you want Toyota to warrant your engine during the warranty coverage period, use API certified oil. Amsoil may or may not be great stuff, but I am always a little skeptical of claims without any kind of warranty to back them up.

Reply to
Ray O

Mercedes is one. Also BMW on certain models where they do not want oil dripping on sensitive components.

Reply to
Mark A

Just to clarify, 5 minutes is for the one that hooks up to air compressor. The hand pump ones sometimes take longer and require multiple attempts at building up enough pressure.

Reply to
Mark A

I figured you were talking about the pneumatically operated extractor since the one you provided the link for was pneumatic. Mighty-Vac is the most common vacuum pump and has a good reputation among professional technicians so I figure their extractor should also be well made. My compressor should be able to handle it without any problem.

Thanks for the info!

Reply to
Ray O

Are you removing the oil filter from under the car? If so, it is not surprising.

Try removing the oil filter from above - you will get a lot less oil on you.

Reply to
Ray O

The catch with them is that they were designed so that the extractor can be used. Take a look at the interior of the pan when you have one off. They designed in a pocket for the extractor tube to enter so it gets to the bottom of the pan. Most other makers don't do that. They have oil baffles in the way that prevent you from getting all the way to the bottom of the pan.

Reply to
Steve W.

I once had a Honda CR-V. Terrible vehicle, soured me on Honda for sure. I could never change the oil myself, the filter was just in too tough a place to get to.

My 4Runner isn't bad, but you have to remove the skid plates to change the oil which is time consuming. The Camry is really easy. If you're into recreational oil changing (3000 mile oil changes) then the 3rd generation (1992-96) Camry is ideal. I haven't looked at the 4th (1997-2001), 5th (2002-2006), and 6th generation (2007-2011) Camry.

Reply to
SMS

My 1997 is just as easy as the 1994 I had to change oil.

Reply to
badgolferman

Ditto that. I just changed my wife's oil ('99) last week.

Does anyone have recommendations re: changing the oil FILTER without the oil dripping all over the place? Should I change it LAST, when the car has cooled down a bit? Or is there a better way?

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett

Sez you. I still get it all down my arm, then back up the glove when I pull the arm out from under the car.

Reply to
clifto

I wonder if the transmission in the Escort holds more than 4 qts, though.

Reply to
clifto

Is the filter in '99 located in the front sticking up on an angle? It is like this in my '95. So the oil filter drains itself... Yes, the filter is the last item I remove before refilling the engine.

Remove the drain plug first and go back home for a coffe break :-) When you come back the oil will be gone from the engine and filter.

If you are really concerned with a single drop of oil you can always put some paper towel right under the filter and tilt the filter with its hole up very fast when you unscrew it.

Reply to
Pszemol

This is the way I do it:

  1. Drive up onto ramps.
  2. Put drain pan below drain.
  3. Open oil filler on top of engine and remove dipstick. (This allows air to replace oil and oil pours out easier.
  4. Open drain plug and let oil drain for 15-20 minutes.
  5. Stuff rags below oil filter and adjust oil pan below filter to catch residual oil as filter is removed.
  6. Wipe up any spills and put new oil filter back on after wiping gasket with a bit of oil.
  7. Replace oil plug and dipstick then pour new oil into engine.
  8. Fire up car long enough to drive off ramps.
  9. Put everything away and check oil level before driving vehicle.
Reply to
badgolferman

Very true! A friend of mine some years ago had a brand new Hyundai Accent that he used for work, and after his first oil change, on the freeway on the way to work noticed his oil pressure light go on. He stopped, found there was no oil on his dipstick, and so walked to an auto parts store for another gallon of oil. As he poured it in, he began to notice that his feet were in a pool of ....clean oil. Yep, the drain plug had vibrated out, and all t he oil he poured in came promptly out. It ended up that he got a new engine out of the dealer for their mistake. He was lucky.

Yes, and there again, I simply say "thanks, but I have a replacement at home, thanks for mentioning it."

Reply to
mack

I am not sure that all cars besides Mercedes/BMW have baffles in the way that prevent you from getting all the way to the bottom of the pan. I had success with my 98 Camry the few times I tried it. But it may take some trial and error moving the tube around to get it all out.

Reply to
Mark A

I'm not sure about the entire transmission, but it only took about 3 quarts to refill the pan.

Reply to
Ray O

I use the box from the new filter to put the old filter into. A couple of drops of oil is absorbed by the cardboard. The garbage company wants the oil filter in a plastic bag, and the oil needs to be in a container with a cap that is secured by tape, or that has a screw top (some milk bottles have a snap on cap).

Reply to
SMS

How will you know you have it all the way in? How will you know you sucked all oil out?

Reply to
Pszemol