Nitrogen in tires????

Not so. What the compressor designer needs to know is how much of the VAPOR that was in the ambient air that will end up as WATER, that can cause serious damage in the compressed air, will escape the compressor.

Although the boiling point of water increases as a percentage of atmospheres per hundred, based on the PSI, all compressors are designed so the water does NOT exit with the compressed air. In areas of higher than average ambient humidity cyclone separators and dryers are part of the compressor design, depending on the PSI and the latent heat of compression involved.

You would understand the importance moisture and compressor design if you ever witnessed the brass on a set of gauges on an oxygen tank actually burn or the tank explode, caused by the latent heat of RE-compression. ;)

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

I've got two compressors on my farm and neither has a cyclone separator or a drier. I definitely suffer with high humidity in my area. Both of my compressors will output water if you run them continuously (bad personal experience confirms this).

If you are running a real shop, separators and driers are normal accessories. A little liquid water in an air stream can ruin a paint job. But if all you are doing is blowing up tires, or occasionally running an impact wrench, you don't need the drier or separator. These would be part of any large industrial air supply system, but not down at the level where I operate. However, unless you go for expensive refrigerated driers and or desiccants, you are still going to have a significant amount of water vapor in your air. A good reference is at

.

I have no idea what you are trying to claim here.

Latent heat is the heat energy associated with the phase change of a substance (i.e, ice to water, water to vapor). Steam tables and psychometric table are your best friends here. Compressing a gas, heats the gas. You definitely can superheat air if you compress it enough. This true whether there is water vapor in the air are not. Certainly if you compress a mixture ("humid" air) enough, the water vapor will change to a liquid and give up the latent heat you are so found of. This is not something that people inflating tires need to worry about - well not normal people.

So what are you trying to claim?

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

You are splitting hairs again. Yes, to start the reaction, to initiate burning, many reactions require an ignition source. The ignition source is a means to raise at least a portion of the fuel/oxidizer mixture above the ignition temperature for the mixture. Once you get the reaction going, the burning fuel is able to raise more of the mixture above the ignition temperature and the reaction continues (or if it can't the fire dies out). What do you suppose happens if you mix oxygen and gasoline in the proper proportions in a chamber at a temperature of over 540 degrees F? Do I still need an ignition source? How do diesel engines work? There are reactions where the ignition temperature is very low. The ignition point for a gasoline / oxygen mixture is around 536 degrees F. So to answer your question, if your carburetor was heated to over 540 degrees F, the fuel air mixture would burn (I suppose the whole thing might just blow up). Fortunately, carburetors are usually much cooler than 540 degrees.

So what point were you trying to make? I know fireman say to get a fire started you need fuel, air, and an ignition source. But I didn't realize we were discussing the fine points of being a fireman. Besides, my original claim - "Mix the two [fuel and oxidizer] in the proper way and you get fire - i.e., you are burning the fuel. The act of combining oxygen and fuel is burning." is entirely accurate. Mixing fuel and an oxidizer in the proper way (for instance, above the ignition point) will get a fire going. Don't you agree?

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

For not a lot of money, an "auto drain" can be had. All it does is open the water (tank) drain for a few seconds every time the motor starts. They actually work well.

Check out Northern Tools or Harbor Freight for inexpensive versions.

Reply to
Bonehenge (B A R R Y)

"Ph@Boy" wrote in news:Ctadnfh4zbrr8IranZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@trueband.net:

No no no. This was so interesting I re-read it at least six times.

I am curious about one thing though, and that's your mention of "fuse plugs". I had thought that, while at speed, ANY sudden deflation of aircraft tires was dangerous.

Am I missing something?

Reply to
Tegger

You are correct at speed, but the fuse plugs will blow after very heavy braking and you are either stopped or moving very slowly. There are infinite scenarios of course, but normally you would not be able to transfer enough heat using the brakes that hard and still be moving at a speed dangerous enough to be an issue for directional control.

Reply to
user