Noticed Strange Thing About My Yaris Hatchback

That being the lack of bugs that collect on the windshield. Perhaps that is due in part to the slope of the windshield. Every other vehicle I owned seemed to be a bug magnet during spring and summer. It doesn't even seem to collect many bugs on the front end either. Maybe it's the whole shape of the vehicle in general, I just don't know. Just one more thing out of many that I love about my Yaris :)

Rich

Reply to
Just Me

I've always seen large variations in bug strikes from vehicle to vehicle. I spend a lot of time on highways, at relatively high speeds, at night, and in bug heavy areas. My old F150 (1992) wsa a bug magnet. The Expeditions I owned were bad, but not as bad as the F150. My current Nissan Frontier is a a little better than the Expeditions. The

2-seat Thunderbird I used to own almost never had bugs on the windshield or front bodywork, ditto for my current Ford Fusion. A 2001 Mustang I owned was not as good, but not horrible either. Although the Mustang's windshield was not bad, the front bumper did tend to collect bugs. Interestingly, although my Frontier's windshield tends to collect bugs, the front bumper does not, even though it is relatively flat. I guess you can't just look at the shape and know which way the bugs are going to go.

Ed

Reply to
Ed White

I kind of thought maybe the aerodynamics of the vehicle just tossed the bugs up and over kind of like they are riding the airfoil produced by the vehicle.

Reply to
Just Me

Actually, I have noticed this too and we have 3 consecutive months of rain. The bugs are out in full force..

Reply to
GO Mavs

I have probably driven around 200 different Toyotas, and it seems as if the

2 things that affect how many bugs end up on the windshield, leading edge of the hood, and bumper seem to be a combination of the aerodynamic shape of the vehicle and vehicle speed. For example, my car stays relatively bug-free under 60 MPH, but if my speed is above that, it is like turning on the bug-machine.
Reply to
Ray O

That explains it then. My Yaris don't go fast enough to collect any bugs. They can simply out fly my car. hehehehe :)

Reply to
Just Me

LOL

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll

I'd never really noticed that.. The problem is I'm rarely under 65 on the interstates.. I notice it also varies from the time of day also.. IE: I seem to get more windshield bugs in the daytime, than I do at night. Seems like some bugs sleep at night... :/ I get quite a few on the corolla at 65-70 mph, if the bugs are at the right level to become car kill. Both the lower grill and license plate, bumper, and on up to the glass which can get plastered on some buggy days.. IE: the run south from central OK, to Houston, in the daytime will be a bugathon. The first thing I do when I get home is start hosing them off before they get all dried up and harder to get off. The same trip at night will see some bugs, but not quite as many. One totally unrelated quirk I notice about the corolla.. Rain seems loud as it hits the car... Even the rain hitting the side window trim beside my left shoulder seems loud.. Might be my imagination, but I hadn't noticed that as much on other cars. BTW, I once had a clear bug shield on one of my trucks, and I guess they do help some, but I took it off a couple of years ago to cut any drag it might cause. MK

Reply to
nm5k

"Just Me" ..

I have noticed the same thing in my Prius. My Jeep TJ however with its almost vertical windshield is another story entirely... Tomes

Reply to
Tomes