Oil prices expected to rise above $200 per barrel

It's a global market. The US is only a small part of that market, but in the supply of oil and the demand of oil.

Only a little.

jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Maybe they're all looking at you thinking the same baseless thought.

Bill Putney

Maybe they're all looking at you thinking the same baseless thought. Bill Putney ================

Or they could be looking for that hard to find and much sought after real estate under the shadow of a cell phone tower so they could soak up some waves...? CP

Reply to
Charles Pisano

You think?

Maybe when it reaches $5 a gallon?

I heard on one news show, that for about $4.50 a gallon we could produce all the synthetic gas we'd ever need, right here in our own country. I'm not sure what it would be produced from, does anyone know?

I also heard that we have LOTS of natural gas, so can't cars be converted to that cleaner burning fuel, cost effectively, at some point in this mess?

Reply to
Sarah Houston

scam.

Reply to
Sarah Houston

Who says we have to export it?

Who says we have to export it?

Stay tuned...

People are fed up and it's only so long before they realize that they can't just blame the oil companies for this, that something else needs to be done.

Oh, and increasing refineries would lower our prices here too.

I even heard that stabilizing the dollar against foreign currencies would, being much of these current prices are based on wild speculation, because our government is so far in debt and printing funny money as a way out.

Reply to
Sarah Houston

Marxism?

"From each according to his abilities, to each according to his needs."

- Karl Marx

""I do not see why industrialists should be considered at all," said Scudder. "When the masses are destitute and yet there are goods available, it's idiotic to expect people to be stopped by some scrap of paper called a property deed. Property rights are a superstition. One holds property only by the courtesy of those who do not sieze it. The people can sieze it at any moment. If they can, why shouldn't they?" "They should", said Claude Slagenhop. "They need it. Need is the only consideration. If people are in need, we've got to sieze things first and talk about it afterwards." - Atlas Shrugged, by Ayn Rand

Reply to
Sarah Houston

Hah hah! That too. :)

Bill Putney

Basically Americans are energy hogs. Can't blame us, energy was cheap and there wasn't all that much of an incentive to conserve. Times are changing and like it or not we will change. Six dollar gasoline and Carribu dog food at Wal-mart before it's all over.

Reply to
Moe

In message news:Xns9AA6B3FBDFA2ESntzldfrdSntzldfrdco@216.196.97.142, Sarah Houston burned some brain cells writing:

Kill them. Now.

Reply to
Klark Kent

In message news:uKnZj.2352$ju1.2343@trndny06, Jeff burned some brain cells writing:

If KKKlinton had signed the ANWR bill in 1994 that oil would be flowing by now. Do you want another KKKlinton or Barry Hussein God Damn America blocking it for ANOTHER decade?

Reply to
Klark Kent

Don't let JSB hear you say that. Don't you know there aren't any hindrances to drilling our own oil?

Reply to
hach

I'll drill through a Polar Bear's head to get oil.

Reply to
hachiroku

It comes from coal. Back in the 80's the government gave a grant to someone, I don't know who, to set up a fuel systhesis plant. Hearing this, the Saudis (or rather, OPEC) dropped the price of a barrel of crude from ~$50 to ~$10.

If we start drilling for our own oil, the price across the board will drop.

Sure. But the oilmen are getting rich, the lobbyists are getting rich, and the environuts are happy. Those of us that actually have ambitions and need to drive are taking it..er, on the chin...!

All it takes is for the Sultan of Ooompapamaumau to sneeze tomorrow and the price of a barrel will double.

Reply to
hachiroku

I have seen that, between oil and coal that could be turned into gasoline (and coal that can just be used as coal) we have enough energy right here for ~100 years. If we don't come up with some alternative in the next

10~20, we deserve everything we get.

It's said we are the Saudi Arabia of coal, we have so much. The problems are that coal is difficult to extract; if you use a regular mine then the workers are in danger, and if you go with much safer strip mining the land where the mine is located is destroyed. Frankly, I'm not much of an environmentalist, so if strip mining means we get to keep our economy humming, then strip away! (Er, not you, the miners! ;)

Again, the environmentalists step in with lawsuits and their lobbyists get new laws passed, and progress comes to a halt.

Reply to
hachiroku

Why is 10% significant? Why should day traders/players/gamblers (pick a name you like) be allowed to have ANY effect on your household budget, just so they can live in huge mansions in fancy towns? Here are some of the players who are wrecking other people's household budgets:

Here's an idea: Let's set up a new game at OTB parlors. Let any slob with enough money gamble on futures representing your family's 50 favorite grocery items. Let them gamble on individual items, or for lazy gamblers, there'll be a commodity representing "All Jeff's groceries" - sort of a mutual fund thing.

If the OTB slobs end up bidding up the price of your groceries until the prices are quadrupled, that's what you and your wife have to pay at the grocery store. Would that be OK with you?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Gee, I think I like this woman! ;)

I have posted *plenty* of links refuting GW, but the AlGore kool-aid drinkers refuse to read it.

Now it's said the Earth may be entering a cooling period. Hey, what a surprise!!!

Reply to
hachiroku

Coal.

Cars can be converted to burn natural gas, cost effectiveness is determined by each persons definition of those words. CNG does not work well in cold climates, you'll give up most of the trunk space for the gas bottle and even then, range will be limited. Larger vehicles lend themselves better to CNG than smaller vehicles. The refueling infrastructure isn't in place, and in fact it may actually be destructured compared to 15 or so years ago... And once it's all said and done, the market speculators will just drive up the price of NG just like they're doing to petroleum.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

Based on what I have seen at the pumps, at current prices, 10% would be $13 a barrel, and would translate into a $0.06 rise in the price of a gallon.

Over a period of a couple weeks, this could reult in a $0.60 rise in the price of a gallon.

Like Joe said, so someone can get rich for doing nothing?

Reply to
hach

In all fairness, some speculators *do* need to deal with that nasty commute from Greenwich into lower Manhattan.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom