What would they call this....

I mentioned having the 93 Corolla wagon and I use it for work, but there's a problem.

I drive around a lot at night ( no, not pizza delivery :) and often run across invisible speed bumps that can't be seen in advance. Gray on gray, unmarked ones.

Last winter I bent an axle and hub on one, and it wound up costing almost $2000 to have fixed.

I think it just happened again now, I'm disgusted.

But is there a way that the suspension could be modified to make this car have something that's more like a dune buggy suspension, without costing a fortune?

Something that would allow it to cruise over these unmarked speed bumps without all that damage?

Reply to
Sarah Houston

ahh, i love speed bumps... governments special way of making sure we don't hit a child who is not being watched by their parents.

Reply to
Don't Taze Me, Bro!

In the middle of the night...

Reply to
Hachiroku

I would hi-tail it to the town or city hall with a copy of the bill and a picture of the speedbump at night, and say , Paint this yellow *AND* pay this bill. If they squawk, I'd say, what's wrong with the city planners and traffic engineers that they make a speed bump blend in with the background?

Course, they'll tell you to slow down...

Reply to
Hachiroku

It was actually in the long entrance road to some apts. May not even be a city street.

They shoulda marked it though, someone could roll their car from not seeing it.

Reply to
Sarah Houston

You could have a case for a law suit, but I doubt you documented where you hit it. You might go back to it... call the cops, and get an accident report of it. They may be liable.

Reply to
Don't Taze Me, Bro!

"Sarah Houston" ...

All the more reason to go after them. As Taze noted it must be done right. Tomes

Reply to
Tomes

All speed bumps were removed from our town because of damage to village-owned vehicles like police cars, fire engines, and ambulances.

Before then, speed bumps were marked with a sign and yellow paint. Perhaps the municipality where the speed bump is located may have ordinances regarding warnings and markings. Of course, if there was a sign warning of speed bumps ahead, then you are probably out of luck.

You can try your insurance company, but that trick only works a few times and only if you have coverage for such events.

As for modifying the suspension without costing a fortune, it depends on how you define "fortune." To modify a suspension so that it will take speed bumps at more than 3 MPH, the suspension travel has to be increased. To increase suspension travel, the vehicle has to be raised and/or the front fenders and wheel wells have to be modified. In addition to increased suspension travel, the springs would have to be changed and the wheels and tires would have to be changed to something heavier duty, like a truck has. All these modifications will have a negative effect on fuel economy and will likely results in a stiffer ride.

Reply to
Ray O

I'd go to the management company and ask them why it's not lit or why they're not painted. Did they at least have a sign up?

Reply to
hachiroku

Buy an 86' Lincoln towncar. I used to have one and always sped up when I saw speed bumps to see how fast I could take them.

Reply to
Reasoned Insanity