Oil prices expected to rise above $200 per barrel

Doesn't matter, just use nuclear to generate it for cars.

Reply to
Sarah Houston

What's that expert's track record? I mean actual, not self- proclaimed, and over the long term (10-20+ years)?

Predictions, except those based directly on demographic trends or almost purely on science, haven't been trustworthy.

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly

Because US energy policy was changed almost 30 years ago, and the free market has spoken.

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly

No, because everyone agreed to the status quo and did nothing.

Reply to
Hachiroku

I love it when people think people have more power then the Universe. When the cooling starts, 'Global Warming' will be a fart in the wind.

AlGore's experts, maybe.

Reply to
Hachiroku

All in all, about the same as yours.

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

Sounds good to me. How much is 5 tons of coal?

Reply to
Hachiroku

No, I prefer chilled monkey brain...

Reply to
Hachiroku

Actually, anything's possible with the price of oil, since the price is disconnected from reality. I wonder how many people realize that speculators can make money when certain investments go DOWN as well as UP.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

And what is wrong with that?

Reply to
Jeff

Nothing, as long as it doesn't affect anyone who doesn't want to be part of the game. You know that. Do I have to explain it again?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

You didn't explain it the first time.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Sure I did. But, like many people, you think hedge funds are somehow an example of the "free enterprise system" that's entitled to affect oil prices. That is obviously nonsense. There's a big difference between that, and your right to start any legal business you like.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Why is it nonsense? The hedge funds also help create the market system that gets capital to finance purchases of things like oil rigs and tankers.

Please provide that the evidence that the hedge funds are actually markedly affecting the price of oil and provide a better alternative.

While I don't like the capital markets in general, without the capital markets we would be all be farming for our own food.

Reply to
Jeff

In another message, I asked you if you thought the effect of hedge funds on oil prices was ZERO. You never answered the question. Now, we can't continue without that answer. Is their effect ZERO?

If you say NO, please provide your estimate of their effect.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

I know of no data that provides for an accurate estimate. The oil companies and oil producing nations say the speculators are causing oil to go up, but I don't know of any independent analysis that supports this.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Then the discussion is over.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

I think not. At least Scott served his country. God only knows what Ed Syphilis has done. He sounds like the typical Leftwingnut most of the time.

Charles the Curmudgeon Slightly to the right of Ronald Reagan

Reply to
CharlesTheCurmudgeon

Serving in the military does not automatically grant someone with intelligence, or any special privileges in terms of being able to comment on the affairs of the nation.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

How? Do you get fitted with a special kind of brain when you put on a uniform? Of course not.

You have some nerve saying "we". You learned to field strip a Smith-Corona.

A real warrior and his brother, a Navy chaplain, told me it wasn't a good idea at that particular moment in history.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom