OT 20,000 pounds of salt

Berlin airlift. Around the clock. It's interesting to note only US planes could deliver this precious commodity.

Reply to
mark digital©

Interesting how? U.S. military planes? American-owned civilian cargo planes?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

US military planes. They're the only ones that could withstand the effects of that much salt. As far as I know Berlin was receiving about 900 tons of supplies a day, and Stalin thought we would fail. There were many mishaps but eventually through better flight patterns 4500 tons of supplies were flown in each day. Each plane had only one chance to land and if it missed it's mark it would have to return fully loaded. These little details are very interesting. Each pilot was required to stay near his plane. He didn't have to travel far from his plane for a cup of coffee or to munch down on a hamburger. The food stands were run by attractive young ladies (on purpose).

Reply to
mark digital©

. The food stands were run by

I'm there already. What are we there for again?

Reply to
Reasoned Insanity