OT: 200K Criminal Illegals to be sent home

U.S. to Speed Deportation of Criminals in Jail By JULIA PRESTON

authorities expect to identify and deport more than 200,000 immigrants this year who are convicted criminals serving time in prisons and jails across the country, the country's top federal immigration enforcement official said Monday. The effort to speed the deportation of foreign-born criminals is part of a campaign by the Immigration and Customs Enforcement agency to help federal and state prisons reduce the costs of housing immigrants, the official, Julie L. Myers, assistant secretary of homeland security and head of the agency, said in an interview.

In 2007, Ms. Myers said, the agency, known as ICE, brought formal immigration charges against 164,000 immigrants who are behind bars nationwide for crimes committed in this country. Many of those immigrants are still in the United States and are also slated for deportation this year, she said. By comparison, in 2006, the agency identified 64,000 immigrants behind bars, most of whom were deported.

Reply to
Mr4701

Federal authorities expect to identify and deport more than 200,000> immigrants this year who are convicted criminals serving time in> prisons and jails across the country, the country's top federal> immigration enforcement official said Monday.>

I wonder what the difference in price would be to prevent them from coming over illegally rather than waiting for them to commit crimes, catch them, prosecute them, jail them, and deport them.

Reply to
badgolferman

Let's see... the minimum wage is around $7.50 an hour so that would be about $16K per year. I'm thinking we just pay them for staying home and everyone would be happy. We do it with the longshoremen so why not the would-be immigrants! jor

Reply to
jor

Similar to the Netherlands, where they proposed paying released felons $40,000 USD per year to stay OUT of trouble. Cheaper than incarceration. I don't know if it actually happened, but the mind-set is mind-boggling.

Reply to
witfal