OT: An American sentiment from another group

Will we still be the Country of choice and still be America if we continue to make the changes forced on us by the people from other countries that
came to live in America because it is the Country of Choice?????? Think about it . .
All I have to say is, when will they do something about MY RIGHTS? I celebrate Christmas, but because it isn't celebrated by everyone, we can no longer say Merry Christmas. Now it has to be Season's Greetings. It's not Christmas vacation, it's Winter Break Isn't it amazing how this winter break ALWAYS occurs over the Christmas holiday? We've gone so far the other way, bent over backwards to not offend anyone, that I am now being offended. But it seems that no one has a problem with that.
This says it all! This is an editorial written by an American citizen, published in a Tampa newspaper He did quite a job; didn't he? Read on, please!
IMMIGRANTS, NOT AMERICANS, MUST ADAPT. I am tired of this nation worrying about whether we are offending some individual or their culture. Since the terrorist attacks on Sept. 11, we have experienced a surge in patriotism by the majority of Americans. However, the dust from the attacks had barely settled when the "politically correct" crowd began complaining about the possibility that our patriotism was offending others.
I am not against immigration, nor do I hold a grudge against anyone who is seeking a better life by coming to America. Our population is almost entirely made up of descendants of immigrants. However, there are a few things that those who have recently come to our country, and apparently some born here, need to understand. This idea of America being a multicultural community has served only to dilute our sovereignty and our national identity. As Americans, we have our own culture, our own society, our own language and our own lifestyle. This culture has been developed over centuries of struggles, trials, and victories by millions of men and women who have sought freedom.
We speakENGLISH , not Spanish, Portuguese, Arabic, Chinese, Japanese, Russian, or any other language. Therefore, if you wish to become part of our society, learn the language!
"In God We Trust" is our national motto. This is not some Christian, right wing, political slogan. We adopted this motto because Christian men and women, on Christian principles, founded this nation, and this is clearly documented. It is certainly appropriate to display it on the walls of our schools. If God offends you, then I suggest you consider another part of the world as your new home, because God is part of our culture.
If Stars and Stripes offend you, or you don't like Uncle Sam, then you should seriously consider a move to another part of this planet. We are happy with our culture and have no desire to change, and we really don't care how you did things where you came from. This is OUR COUNTRY, our land, and our lifestyle. Our First Amendment gives every citizen the right to express his opinion and we will allow you every opportunity to do so. But once you are done complaining, whining, and griping about our flag, our pledge, our national motto, or our way of life, I highly encourage you take advantage of one other great American freedom, THE RIGHT TO LEAVE. It is Time for America to Speak up. If you agree -- pass this along; if you don't agree -- delete it!
AMEN
I figure if we all keep passing this to our friends (and enemies) it will also, sooner or later get back to the complainers, lets all try, please.
And my response to the OP:
YEAH!
My Grandfather came here from Germany. HE spoke English, and NEVER taught the kids German (us grandkids knew, if we ever DID hear him speaking German, it was time to RUN!!!)
My Father In Law, Chinese, had a hard time learning English. It took him many, many years after he moved here, but he finally got it. But he NEVER expected anybody to accommodate HIM.
This says everything I think. Sorry if it offends some, but this is America! It was established a long time ago by immigrants, but has developed into it's own counrty and culture. Assimilate or move on.
But this is not the case. Those of us born here have to bend to the noobies. Sorry, but could you imagine going to Germany or France and having them change to suit YOU? It'll be a mighty cold day. Or worse yet, can you imagine this happening in JAPAN???? Good luck, roundeye; you can't even get INTO Japan to live without a REAL good reason!
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

it
no
Who says you can't say Merry Christmas? I do it pretty frequently between Thanksgiving and New Year's and nobody's arrested me yet.
Now, do I support any agency of the State telling me "Merry Christmas?" No. Nor do I expect them to say "Happy Hanukah" or "Have a Happy Eid." And they don't.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 22:12:17 -0500, dh wrote:

You'll cross the line sooner or later...

WHY?!? THIS IS AMERICA, and in American Culture WE CELEBRATE CHRISTMAS. Christian or not, this is the 'holiday' as we have come to celebrate it for 200 years. Because of 'new immigrants', we have to change OUR culture to suit them? I think not.
Now, I have NOTHING against legal immigration. One grandfather came from Germany, and the other great grandfather came from France and another from Italy. Granted Christian countries, but immigrants nonetheless. They formed this country, and the 'newcomers' conformed. So, if you want to come here, get used to what WE do here. I am an American. I celebrate Chistmas. I'll say Merry Christmas to you, you say Happy Chanukah or Happy Kwanzaa to me. We shake hands and go home for supper. That's a Great country, isn't it?
Again, try to immigrate to Japan and then tell them THEY need to bend to YOU. Good luck...
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
snip

I couldn't agree more. We here in Canada have the same problem.
We have a National Police Force called the RCMP (Royal Canadian Mounted Police) a very old, proud police force with a great reputation. A few years ago we had a few individuals complaining that they couldn't join this force because for religious reasons they had to wear their headdress, the turban, all the time. WOULD you BELIEVE that this once proud force changed the headdress rule from the Stetson and allowed them to wear a turban while in uniform?...That is just about the most disgusting thing that I can imagine...
We also have this 'special status' crap with the native Indians, the free housing, free lobster licenses and fishing boats, free harvest of lumber on Crown Lands, no tax on goods...Christ on a crutch...
--
-Gord.
(use gordon in email)
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

I agree with Indians having special status. I mean lets be honest, we all screwed them really well when we took over their land. However what gets me mad is when you have these rights passed on to people that claim to be 10% Indian, or even 25%... what the hell is that?
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

C'mon Dan, when the white man came to North America there was how many native Indians here? a few thousand? in a country much much bigger than the USA which supports what, 300,000,000 people now?
Even Canada, with 30 million people, is most certainly sparsely settled. So you're saying that these few thousands of natives OWNED all of this huge land mass that we now call Canada?
Millions and millions of square miles of land that never saw a human being, let alone was OWNED by one?
Gimme a break f'Christ sake...
--
-Gord.
(use gordon in email)
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

*I* never screwed over ANY aboriginals. If they have a problem, let them sue the Estate of my great great great grandfather.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

I don't think that he ever 'took' any land from anyone either. He might have hacked out a plot of garden land in the wilderness, built a sod house for his family then lived for years in abject fear of being murdered by the few and far between roving bands of savages who took delight in that activity.
--
-Gord.
(use gordon in email)
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

Some estimates place the number of native americans at 4 to 12 MILLION (pre Columbus - north of Mexico)!
http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a4_100.html
http://www.americanwest.com/pages/indians.htm
http://www.hartford-hwp.com/Taino/docs/columbus.html
(and other potential links)
Just fyi...
...

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 04:27:31 +0000, Gord Beaman wrote:

LOL! Didn't we discuss this just a little while ago?

OH THAT'S what you meant when you were talking about tons of lobsters! I get it now...
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

I used to be worried about offending other religions at my work, but that was then. I now send Merry Christmas cards to everyone. If you dont like it, throw it out. If you are offended, too bad.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
snip

agreed.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
HachiRoku wrote:

FWIW, I'm not Christian, and completely agree.
It offends me as well that Christmas has being turned into an American, non-religious holiday. Non-Christian kids are supposed to sing the "holiday songs", there's a school "winter concert" (wink, wink), and everyone is encouraged to go "holiday shopping."
Christmas is Christian. Put up your symbols at church, in your home, and in a business you own. That's your right. I'm not offended by a tree in your home, a nativity scene in front of your church, or a wreath in your office.
HOWEVER, I reserve the right to be offended when politicians spend OUR tax money to decorate OUR government buildings with Christian symbols. I hope that's OK with you.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 13:11:13 -0700, kgnorwalk wrote:

Well, sort of. I can somewhat sympathize and see your point of view.
But I also think that if you were to have a government job, say at the DMV, well, it sure would be nice to register my new car on Christmas day! ;)
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Motorsforum.com is a website by car enthusiasts for car enthusiasts. It is not affiliated with any of the car or spare part manufacturers or car dealers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.