{OT:} Crude oil prices down $0.65 a barrel

Come on guys, it's not about the crude, it's about refining capacity,

Moe

And if you want something to worry about,

Moe

Another example that the more the kooks post the goofier they get. LOL

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Have you tried a bicycle or walking? If you only travel 100 miles a week it may be to your advantage to sell your car and take taxis.

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Oh, yeah! That's the other nail you hit on the head! It's the Chinese that are having the biggest effect on crude prices. Their sudden, rapid expansion has created a need for crude that wasn't there before to fuel their new found economic 'ehgine', and they're buying whatever they can at whatever price they can get for it. Since the Chinese are willing to pay $60/bbl, that means that everyone else has to pay $60 or BETTER to get the crude they need.

And, as I have said here many times, you hit the other nail on the head, too. Refineries at their BEST can only run at an efficiency of 93-94%. So, effectively, 94% *IS* 100%. All refineries in the US are running at full capacity, and all the rules and regulations foisted on them makes them not want to build new refineries. So all refineries are running full bore and selling *ALL* the output.

Another reason why I hate SUV driving Soccer Moms.

Reply to
Hachiroku

And I'm told that if I want to impress women, I should stop driving Corollas. No thanks, I can't afford the gas. If I wanted to buy a car that would impress women, it would be something like an MG-TD. Or maybe John Steed's Bentley. But I'd still have fun affording the gas.

Besides, if a woman is so shallow to be impressed by me driving a Bimmer, do I really want her anyway?

Charles of Schaumburg

Reply to
n5hsr

I drive a Supra and a Scion tC.

Because *I* want to. And I like to go fast...

(Did you see the post where I want to get a license plate that says "SML PNS"...)

Reply to
Hachiroku

I've had the same license plate number on 6 vehicles since 1985. Since I'm in Information Services, I need a car that gets up and goes every time I turn the key. Haven't got time for an American shop queen. Thank God I can tele-commute a lot of the time now, but there are times I have to get up early in the morning and drag myself to site to fix a problem since no one else is there that can fix it. Don't really care about driving fast anymore. I've had the 93 Corolla up to 100, that's plenty fast. I smoked a

80's Chevy Lead Sled with my dad's 77 Corolla with a broken valve in 1998 and wasn't even trying hard, didn't even bark the tires. (They were pointing at Old Blue and laughing and revving their motor in neutral.) We also smoked a Pontiac Grand Am with a S/C Previa, but I suspect the kid didn't know how to drive fast and my brother has been smoking cars since 1980, when he beat Trans-Ams in the quarter with a 77 stock Corolla (the same one as above)

Charles of Schaumburg

Reply to
n5hsr

YES YOU DO, unless she's really ugly or has the world's worst personality. That's been the #1 guy rule for eons.

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly

Nope, thats right, as far as the phrase "gas war" as used in the 50's and 60's. My grandfather had a Texaco station when I was growing up. So I knew all about gas wars... He used to talk about it, and the "wars" he would have with stations in the area. I've seen gas sell as low as 12 cents a gallon. And it was probably a lot better gas than the chemical backwash stuff they call gas these days. The old gas had a different smell. I used to like the smell of it. Now, it smells totally different, and is not really an enticing aroma. :( MK

Reply to
nm5k

I don't have to guess too hard to know what the plate said... :/ I once had ham plates back in the late 80s, but the car that had them got totalled out when a guy plowed into me.. I never had them transfered to any other cars so far.. I've been kicking around putting ham plates on my corolla though.. Actually, here in TX, I can put the same plate on every vehicle I own. Which is four at the moment... MK

Reply to
nm5k

Stop complaining, the US still has cheep fuel. I average $1.20 a litre ($3.80 US/gallon give or take )at the moment and I've seen it go up 20c per litre in 2 hours.

Reply to
Nick Bourne

Do you they have magnets on the back, like dealer plates in PA?

Or do you have screw them in? That must be a pain in the butt every time you want to drive another car. ;-)

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

You mean, you can take the plate off one car, and attach it to another without going to the DMV every time?!

I'M MOVING TO TEXAS!!!!

Reply to
Hachiroku

Yeah, I remember that, too.

And I remember Sunoco 260..."White Gas".

Reply to
Hachiroku

It's gone up 35 cents a gallon or 10 percent here in about a week. Historic average prices have been less than 2 dollars US a gallon. Right now we're at 3.35. That's quite an increase with very little justification. It's come close to doubling since January. That's not only the cost I have to pay for fuel, it's the cost businesses have to pay for fuel, too. Eventually the price of everything is going to go up and we're going to start having stagflation again like we did under Jimmy Carter. Maybe that's the Demogogic plot. Make things so miserable that we'll vote Demigogic in

2008.

How long has it been AU$1.20 a litre? The last time I was in Canada I was paying C$ 0.67 a liter. And that's when the C$1.00 = US$.0.70 so it's been a few years. The AU$ used to be about 80 cents US.

Charles of Schaumburg

Reply to
n5hsr

Hachi, I think he can get 4 copies of the same plate, i.e. one for each vehicle he owns. And you have to be an Amateur Radio Operator, I'd be willing to bet. Of course, since you no longer need to know Morse code to get a license, you could probably go from no license to Extra in a day or two. (Extra is the highest grade of Amateur Radio license)

I get enough flak from the older hams because I'm what they call a no-code Extra. I had to learn 5 WPM back in 1985 and got my Tech. Then in the great restructuring of 2000, I took the written tests for Extra since after that, I no longer needed 20 WPM for Extra, just 5 WPM. Now it's 0 WPM. You don't have to know Morse code, or Morris code, for that matter.

Charles of Schaumburg

Reply to
n5hsr

It has been around that price for the last 2 years now but I think the last time I saw it under AU$1.00 was about 4 years ago. we have had it up around the AU$1.50 when the war in Iraq started but then it dropped back down.

If you are after justification can you tell my why on Wednesday night it is the cheapest and then goes up 0.12 overnight for Thursday morning just as people get paid and then slowly drops back down to the Wednesday night low.

They use the excuse that hotels and motels have peak and off-peak rates why cant petrol stations.

The AU$ is currently around 83 cents US.

Reply to
Nick Bourne

Market forces.

Depends on the business. Some business buy their fuel with long-term contracts.

Maybe it is the failure of the present President to do very little in the way of conservation and energy efficiency. The use of oil and natural gas are close to the capacity of the distribution networks (including refineries). The President did little to encourage development of efficient energy provesses or alternative energy, like solar, wind, geothermal.

Reply to
Jeff

Well it used to be everyone tried to fill up on Thursday morning here because the trucks would rumble around on Thursday and gas would go up. But that doesn't work any more. The distributors just tell their dealers to raise the prices whenever now.

But your gas price hasn't raised 80 percent just since January. The dammed oil companies here in the US are up to something, and my rear is getting sore from it. Prices are now as high as they were after Katrina with NOWHERE near the same justification.

I think the oil companies are trying to cook frogs . . . .

Charles of Schaumburg.

Reply to
n5hsr