OT DBU

My expertise in baking went up a notch or two last week when I finally perfected a simple method that compensates for differences in measurement and temperature of ingredients and different ovens before starting. Inserting a toothpick generally works good but I wanted something better. I didn't want to keep opening the oven door. The long and short of it is I insert a temperature probe into (for example) a cupcake mold. While it's rising the internal temperature will reach 212 degrees F. and remain there. The very moment it reads 213 I remove the cupcake pan. If you have a digital thermometer with a braided cable probe you ought to try this method. The only thing you need to do is establish whether it will accurately read 212 in boiling water. It also helps to know if it will read

32 degrees in ice water. The cakes come out like Hostess Suzie Q's but if you want more of a crust just let it stay in the oven about a minute more. I guarantee you, people in your home will be fighting over them.

Enjoy!

Reply to
mark digital©

Most meters, digital and analog are not linear, center scale is usually the most accurate. We have a dial thermometer which works well for the turkey. I know for sure the oven dial is not accurate. When set to 400 deg. it's usually way too hot inside the oven, much higher than the dial thermometer reads.

My chili was super hot, almost poisonous....I added extra Cayenne pepper, nobody ate from my batch, heh heh.

Reply to
dbu,

Why? Are they afraid of rectal bleeding to death? LOL

Reply to
mark digital©

Most oven knobs are adjustable. Just get an accurate reading of the tempature inside the oven, remove the oven knob, turn it over and move it until it reads the same temperature as is inside the oven. Then put the knob back on the stove.

Reply to
Tom in Macon

What you are seeing is the temperature pause due to heat of vaporization (the energy required to transform a given quantity of a substance into a gas). The temperature of the cake batter will rise until it reaches the boiling point. At the boiling point, the temperature remains constant as the water in the cake turns from liquid to gas. Once it all goes to gas phase, the temp then continues its climb.

So it is not really necessary to have an accurate thermometer. The critical thing to look for is when the temp rise stops and then resumes, at whatever the temperature the thermometer is reading. In other words, the calibration of the thermometer does not matter all that much, just how the reading moves. Tomes

Reply to
Tomes

Today's batch didn't fair as well as the first batch of cupcakes. It called for an oven temperature of 325 instead of 350, and I'm using a brand new Chicago Metallics commercial grade 12 cupper. So, I guess it's back to the drawing board.

The vanilla cup cakes are delicious and if you didn't know better you'd swear I had pumped a creamy filling into them. Still edible but have to keep them refrigerated. mark_

Reply to
mark digital©

"The vanilla cup cakes are delicious and if you didn't know better you'd swear I had pumped a creamy filling into them. Still edible but have to keep them refrigerated."

-------

I traced my steps back. I combined water, vegetable oil, and *eggs, and beat the mixture on *HIGH* until it was froth-like. Added the dry mix, stirred 30 seconds and later I was supposed to mix at *MEDIUM* for 2 minutes but instead chose to mix on *HIGH* and it was froth-like. The end result was I came very close to baking a cupcake with an already made custard-like center! Cool!

*Jumbo instead of large.
Reply to
mark digital©

You guys are making me hungry, stop that!!

Reply to
dbu,