Popping noise when backing up in Sienna.

When I back up in my 2003 Toyota Sienna, I hear a popping noise. It does not make the noise when I am not applying the brake, only when the brake is pressed. Also, you never hear the noise when braking while in drive, only in reverse.

Any ideas?

Reply to
Ike

Does the van have aftermarket brake pads installed? Popping or clicking noises are fairly common with aftermarket pads.

Reply to
Ray O

The front pads were replaced, but I used OEM.

Reply to
Ike

Are the clips in the caliper bracket where the square tabs in the brake pads installed properly? If they are missing, the square tabs can shift and make noise.

Reply to
Ray O