OT Fords new plan

They sure as hell would not be stuck with a $#it load of Tundra over production LOL

.
Reply to
Mike Hunter

I'm not familar with the head gasket problem you refer to. My head gasket is fine on my 04 Sienna. Do I have need to worry?

Reply to
dbu,

Better not try to outrun one of those Interceders with you wife's Avalon, if that is what you believe, WBMA LOL

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

But the trannies are more than a match for the task, and the engine isn't very likely to blow unless you're abusing the HELL out of it,

unlike Ford that put a too small tranny for the engine, or GM that was putting Chevette trannies on 6 cyl Olds and Caddies!

The same W58 Tranny that goes in my 200+ HP Supra, with a 35 HP overhead, also went into my 140 HP Celica and goes on a 150 HP Tacoma.

They could have made a tranny more 'suited' to the lower hp of the smaller engines.

But they didn't. And they didn't try to mate a Tercel tranny with the Supra, either, unlike Ford or GM would...

Reply to
Hachiroku

2006 Toyota Camry: Total Vehicle NA Content: 75% Total Imported Content: 25% Origin of Imported Content: Japan Type of Imported Content: Engine and Transmission.

Go look at any Camry on any Toyota dealer's lot...

Reply to
Hachiroku

The only tranny I have ever had problems with from Toyota was the K40 on my

79 Corolla 1.2. And then I abused that poor car quite a bit. I drove it home with 2500 expired Mississippi plates 3 times over 25 miles. Mississippi license plates in those days weighed 46 lbs per hunderd, or 25 times 46 lbs or about 1200 lbs. The Corolla was only rated to carry 700 lbs including the driver. Mind you I took the back roads and didn't go over 30 mph.

Charles Abusing his Toyota as usual.

Reply to
n5hsr

'79 1200 Corolla? I had a '78 5-speed. I never found out how far it might have gone, 'cause at 62,000 miles a Mustang pulled right out in front of me...

Never had a problem with the tranny!

Reply to
Hachiroku

Yes, I've had a couple. I always wanted one of the TS-1x0 or TS-4x0 series. When I started, the TS-130 and 430 had just come out. After the FT-101x series, Yaesu sort of lost place.

I had a TR-2400, one of the first synthesized 2-meter radios, (US units were still limited to crystal control and usually 6 or so channels.) 10 memory channels, 1 watt output out of 10 AA batteries.

The radio I lost in the mud was a Kenwood THD-7A 200 memory channels.

.

I have some reel-to-reel tapes from 1952 and some 78 rpm records. Sometimes it's nice to look at technology that's older than you are and realize how far we've come.

They did a show on PBS one night on how Sony, with help from MITI, worked on making transitorized TV's that didn't need adjustment or repairs, while the US TV makers kept up the TV service bit and didn't try to push the technology originally developed in the US to make TVs better and less needful of new tubes and adjustments. It's GE/Zenith/RCA/etc's fault for not taking advantage of the techology. It started here, but we thought we didn't need it. Same with GM/Ford/Chrysler.

Charles of Schaumburg

Reply to
n5hsr

That's a consumer oddity which nobody can explain. Most consumers will not continue to buy products from companies that have screwed them repeatedly in the past. But, they make exceptions for automobiles. It's just somethig about cars.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Yeah. Toyota's a rotten company. This explains why they've sent me 3 reminders about a recall which gets me free ball joint replacement.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

What vehicle?

Reply to
badgolferman

2002 Tacoma.
Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Is that a 4WD or 2WD? How do you like your truck? What kind of all-around mileage do you get? How about the interior space and quietness? I am interested in something similar.

Reply to
badgolferman

It's 4WD, 6 cylinder TRD model. Highway: I get 21-ish mpg. For some reason, that doesn't seem to change at all when towing a 1500 lb boat/trailer. Local driving: 17-18 mpg. You have to be out of your mind to buy a truck, unless you need its particular mechanical capabilities (4WD, ground clearance, etc). I bought it for its towing capabilities, after researching about a dozen other vehicles.

It's a double cab, and tall people find it comfortable in the back seat. I'm

6'2" 170 lbs, and I find it to be comfortable. I don't think a fat person would like it, though. There's not much room to spare, in terms of width. I hear they've enlarged the Tacoma, so there may be more width in newer ones.

The only other issue to look at is the depth of the truck bed vs the kinds of things you want to carry, and whether you'd want a tonneau cover. I added a hard cover

because I needed security for fishing equipment & luggage. The bed depth is 13" with the cover closed. Some things don't fit. The bed on the newer model may be deeper.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom