OT: Great news from Florida

Now we know how Sot happened.

Fla. Teens Believe Drinking Bleach Will Prevent HIVSome Teens Also Believe Mountain Dew Will Stop Pregnancy POSTED: 1:54 pm EDT April 2, 2008 UPDATED: 4:34 pm EDT April 2, 2008 ORLANDO, Fla. -- A recent survey that found some Florida teens believe drinking a cap of bleach will prevent HIV and a shot of Mountain Dew will stop pregnancy has prompted lawmakers to push for an overhaul of sex education in the state.

The survey showed that Florida teens also believe that smoking marijuana will prevent a person from getting pregnant.

State lawmakers said the myths are spreading because of Florida's abstinence-only sex education, Local 6 reported.

They are proposing a bill that would require a more comprehensive approach, the report said.

It would still require teaching abstinence but students would also learn about condoms and other methods of birth control and disease prevention.

The bill just passed its first vote in a committee, Local 6 reported.

Watch Local 6 News for more on this story.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

To the contrary, Joe can probably attest to marijuana being helpful in getting his wife pregnant...

============================

What if that were true? Does marijuana have special meaning for you? What do you think of people who smoke marijuana?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Joe drives a big truck, he needs all the help he can get.

Reply to
dbu

Your wife says otherwise. Ask her about her "tennis lessons".

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

I think they are just like you.

Reply to
badgolferman

Do you post with two identities? Are you Mark? Of course not. The question was directed at Mark.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

You post to UseNet. It is open to all to read and reply. Send him an e-mail if you want it more private.

Reply to
badgolferman

she's never played tennis before nor does she play tennis now. She's working at a large corporation crunching numbers. I'll be picking her up later today.

Reply to
dbu

Sure she is.

Whatever you say

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Their parents vote, too. These are the same morons who think sex ed should not be taught in school because "that's for parents to take care of at home". Well, obviously, it isn't.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Oh. You think these kids *DID* get the right info at home from their parents, but their friends gave them new info which somehow displaced the knowledge their parents gave them?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Not everywhere, and not all kids. You have been told to believe otherwise, though.

You never saw me say anything of the kind. What I meant is that at home, they are getting NO INFORMATION. Matter of fact, numerous surveys of teenagers indicate that at least 45% get NO INFORMATION from their parents.

After years of teaching ONLY abstinence in school, we know that this limited message DOES NOT WORK, which is why some states will no longer fund programs which teach ONLY ABSTINENCE.

You never saw me say any such thing. If you disagree, you know the drill. Find the words, typed by me, which you misinterpreted. Copy a sample of MY WORDS into your next message and explain how you misinterpreted them.

Abstinence messages alone DO NOT WORK. If you believe you have information which reliably contradicts ALL PROPERLY CONDUCTED SURVEYS, let's see it.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

This discussion reminds me of a girlfriend of mine many years ago, who told me once that the extent of her mother's "birds and bees" talk with her was that she said "Men go out and women go in."

One could say the same about electrical plugs and outlets.

Speaking of avoiding pregnancy, when I was young there was an old wives' tale that a girl couldn't get pregnant the "first" time she had sex. (on a given occasion that is.)

Reply to
mack

"mack"...

Wonder how many people were conceived from that lame-brained idea?

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll®

I'll bet "working at a large corporation crunching numbers," mean she works the check out counter at Wal-Mart

Reply to
Mike hunt

You must speak from experience. Sorry for your bad luck.

Reply to
dbu

All of the people on the Usenet?? hahahaha! :)

Reply to
ah

LOL. No she works at corporate headquarters. Yes, she's smarter than me, and makes more money than I make, but we share, :)

Reply to
dbu

The hair on my ass is smarter than you.

Reply to