OT: Here we go again...

More likely, it was Gen. Matthew Ridgeway's warning that victory would require 7 years and 700,000 GIs.

Our initial involvement in Vietnam was as a fighting force battling the Japanese in WWII.

Before that, the OSS/CIA was all over Vietnam and was trying to convince our government that Ho Chi Minh was on our side. "He will do anything for us," reported one US agent.

Because Communist Ho Chi Minh was so popular throughout Vietnam.

Congress went to Vietnam and decided to come home??? :)

The main problem was that our incompetent Secretary of Defense, Robert McNamara, worshipped mathematics and technology and had no sense about fighting wars. And it didn't help that the Vietnamese had never lost a war in about 1,000 years.

Internationalism should begin when there's a direct threat to our security, as was the case with bin Laden and the Taliban, or a serious violation of international law, as occurred when Saddam Hussein launched a preemptive war against Kuwait. Isolationism should begin when those conditions don't exist, such as with Saddam Hussein in

2002-2003.

I'm referring to the usual suspects, the ones who got everything almost completely wrong.

What if the leadership strongly shouts just that sentiment, not through its words but through its actions?

The point is that the very people who are supposed to stop the domestic attacks still don't understand the terrorists and keep believing that the next threat will be just like the last one.

That's another example of overly conventional thinking. Al Qaeda wants each subsequent attack to be bigger and more frightening than the previous one, so I doubt they'll resort to biological or chemical attack because it's hard to cheaply produce such weapons in forms that can be dispersed widely. Al Qaeda's best weapons are still large jet planes, and many US flight schools are still accepting foreigners without proper background checks.

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly

Between their wars? :(

My father said that even during the Vietnam war, there were large areas of South Vietnam where not much fighting ever occurred.

This fall, will you vote for the correct presidential candidate? ;)

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly

the iron fist dictator speaks.

Reply to
catchme

Very funny.

Right now I honestly haven't made a choice. McCain? Hillary? When hell freezes over. Obama? Right.

Don't forget, I live in Kalifornia. We already know our electoral votes are going for the Dem candidate. Period.

Reply to
witfal

As a threat, no, and it's actually good that the Muslim world wrongly assumes that Obama will favor Muslims.

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly

Which is why the vast majority of the deaths have occurred after "Mission Accomplished".

What's known as "Al Qaeda in Iraq" is more accurately described as Saudi Arabia in Iraq and is only loosely tied to the original al Qaeda.

It's amazing that someone as old as you can be so naive. Al Qaeda has far more friends in Afghanistan than in Iraq, where it's hated by not only the Shiites but also the Sunnis.

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly