OT - Idiots in Florida AND Colorado

Don't know. Don't care.

Anyone who thinks the "joke" is funny is an idiot, regardless of party affiliation.

Reply to
witfal

"Jeff Strickland" ...

It would have been at least a little more amusing, had the part about the white guy being a Klan member been left in.

Even with that, it's hateful, because it's saying that all of those conditions are equally in negative terms.

Saying that having AIDS is comparable to anything else that isn't deadly is racist/homophobic/anti-Semitic garbage.

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll

In a nutshell, you've hit it completely.

Reply to
witfal

As do I. But you could leave the race aspect out competely, and it would then approach humor.

Reply to
witfal

We already knew you were an idiot. Let's wait for some other opinions of the joke.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Or you could leave ethnic groups, or those who suffer diseases, out completely.

Take a page from Will Rogers:

"Suppose I was a Democrat, or suppose I was an idiot. But then, I repeat myself."

Reply to
witfal

"witfal"

"Jeff Strickland" :

said:

Exactly - it also works better if the character in the joke is already identified as a racist/homophobic anti-Semitic moron. It should starte, "Fred Phelps dreamed...."

Rogers had such a keen eye for what's wrong with humanity.

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll

I wonder who that line really came from originally. Another variation is credited to Mark Twain:

"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself."

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

You are correct. Mea culpa. That was a Twain quote I paraphrased.

Reply to
witfal

He also said, "I never yet met a man that I didn't like" and "I'm not a member of any organized political party, I'm a Democrat." Some things never change.

Reply to
F.H.

Jokes are not funny unless they have an element of truth to them. In order for that to happen SOMEONE is going to be made fun of, whether it is an animal, a wife, a husband, a minority, a profession, a political leaning, etc. One must be able to relate to the object in some way to deem it amusing. That will happen if they have some experience with that object being ridiculed. It may be a personal experience or a stereotypical experience.

The trouble with today's world is people take themselves way too seriously and demand respect on their terms. Those that complain the most get the most attention. Ultimately they become the object of ridicule later by those who are more mature and able to live with people who are able to live in the real world.

Reply to
badgolferman

I didn't know that Scott was a Colorado city councilwoman.

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly

Just remember Will Rodgers never met Bill Clinton. . . .

Charles the Curmudgeon.

Reply to
n5hsr