{OT:} I give up...I need professional help...

AMF 27" 8HP snowblower. I bought it a couple years ago and have used it only a half dozen times. Hard to start, and hard to keep running.

Exhibited all the classic symptoms of a gummed up carb, so I took the thing off and opened it up. Other than the usual signs of age, it looked good; all the jets were open, the needle valve looked good, etc. I took it apart and sprayed it all out with carb cleaner; all passages were flowing like they should, the float was not 'retaining fluid' (nice and empty, like it should be), etc. Put it back, made the necessary adjustments and it strarted running like it should...until it gets a load on it. Now, I hooked up the governor contorls the same as they were when I took it off, but it seems like the governor isn't...uh, governing. I finally gave up when the starter rope bound up...for the third time in two weeks.

The bottom end is in good shape. Unless someone can give me a real pointer on this, I think as soon as the weather gets warm I'm going to yank the engine, freshen up the bottom end and just get a new 7.5 or 8 hp engine...

Reply to
Hachiroku

Hachi, make sure that you have replaced the governor rod into the correct hole in the throttle lever. Make sure that you can visually see the throttle responding to governor inputs. The governors are usually a stone age simple centrifugal force type using spinning weights to move the governor arm which in turn is connected to the throttle. When you take any carburetor apart you must use compressed air to clean it out for sure. Carburetor cleaner sprays won't have the required pressure to accomplish the job. I've seen that mistake made too many times. Use a cleaner that contains the chemical "toluene". It will remove gum and varnish like no other. Make certain that the needle and seat valve is not leaking. You can usually check this by gently blowing air through the fuel intake passage with the needle seated (carb inverted) making sure it's not leaking air. Make certain that you have set the correct float height to specification. If that is not correct, the engine can either be starved or flooded with fuel. Replace the in line fuel filter if it has one, along with any air filtration and you should be good IMHO. Good luck.

Reply to
user

Thanks...I did most of that, except for the compressed air bit...

I'm going to give it one more shot...maybe. I found a used engine that is still under factory warranty for just over $200. I think it might be worth my time to just get a new engine. Shoot, the carb for this thing is $79!!!

Reply to
Hachiroku