{OT} "No Dr. Phil"

I believe Dr. Phil Gramm was a PhD befor the later "Dr. Phil. But We ARE a nation of whiners. Just think some 95% of people that want to work have jobs. Something about the same percentage are currently paying their mortgages on time. Obamas wife is whining about cost of ballet lessons for his girls and they may millions last year.........

Yes, their are two wage earners in most households not. But think about this - the unemployment rate is still pretty low with all these many millions of added workers. When I was young and my mom was a "housewife" our houses (I remember 4 before I was 16), were all less than half the size of my house now! This extra income has allowed a lot of opportunities for families. We are paying lots for gasoline but there are a whole lot of folks in the world paying a lot more and as a percentage of thier income a horrible amount. I can imagine the crap I'll get by pointing this out.

I can remember no one buying us a home, buying our health insurance or paying for our food (that part we didn't raise or grown). If I needed glasses or dental work, dad paid for it. There was no "housing" or "education" departments either and lots of us can read and write okay.

Are we whiners?

Ron in Ca

Reply to
ron

That's an awful lot of whining you're doing about others.

Reply to
badgolferman

Isn't that the truth! Most would consider one bathroom, one car or sharing a bedroom as hardship. Our standard of living, if you can define that in pure material terms, is much higher now than it was when I was a kid. Of course, there's the other side of the coin. When I was growing up I never saw people begging at intersections and other evidence of the high number of people that just seem to be left out. jor

Reply to
jor

I remember our last "smaller" house - my brother and I had bunk beds and dresser had to be in the hallway - I could sit on the bed and lean on the window ledge to plink birds with a .22 in our garden! It was a front room, kitchen and 2 bedrooms ours being about 8-9' long and maybe 5' wide!

Reply to
ron