{OT} OK, I give...

...I now think Edward *did* tell his wife to call:

Having said that, I *still* think Coulter's a coldhearted shrew.

Natalie, so done with this topic...

Reply to
Wickeddoll®

It's good to see you are figuring out how these people think. Every decision they make is based in power or money.

Reply to
badgolferman

I don't see how that conclusion follows from this article. What makes you thnk so?

Reply to
dh

"dh" ...

I didn't expect any responses to this, but here goes:

Because he wasted no time doing exactly what Coulter accused him of, regarding his son. This makes him look really bad.

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll®

I'm still not following you. There's no fresh reference to Edwards talking about his son, although I do agree that he's capitalizing on Coulter's attack. I'm not sure I'd hold that against him.

Reply to
dh

"dh" ...

I wasn't talking about the son. I'm talking about the opportunistic way he jumped on this latest spar with Coulter. It lends credibility to her accusations about his son.

And I *do* hold it against him; using his dying wife this way is despicable. But that's politics.

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll®

"tak" ...

*snip*

Yeah, this whole thing reminds me of an episode of "Night Court" (best situation comedy show *ever*) where this fire-and-brimstone preacher kept causing a ruckus over an Andrew Dice Clay-type "comedian." Turned out they were in cahoots with each other, in a mutual profit thing for the preacher's ministry, and the "comedian's" fan base support.

So, the cynic in me says this may the case with Coulter and Edwards.

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll®

Yep, looking that way.

Hmmmm... along with "Taxi". Too close to call? Both great shows, IMO.

Cathy

where this fire-and-brimstone preacher kept

Reply to
Cathy F.

OK, maybe, although I'm not persuaded. We are the sum of our experiences and losing a child is an experience I've not had the misfortune to have. I can't say how this affects one's thinking or if the event would ever be far from my thoughts.

Or, Elizabeth Edwards is determined that the last thing she does in this life is to help her husband make a difference - either through focus on certain issues or by being elected President. A lot depends on where you think the "I" and the "we" divide in a marriage and that's unique to each individual marriage. Al and Tipper Gore, for example, strike me as being unusually close. Could be the Edwards are like that, too. Some view Bill and Hillary Clinton as something more like a "strategic alliance." I couldn't say for sure if that's the case or not but it's a different way of thinking about marriage.

I work with people who are in arranged marriages, so I might have a different perspective or a perspective that's unduly biased.

One thing's for sure, though. If Coulter hadn't shot off her mouth, we wouldn't be discussing this at all. And if the conversation swings back to whether or not Coulter is really into invective, then there's plenty of other grist for that mill.

A book about the phenomenom of right-wing invective has been published in the last few years. It's called "Take Them at Their Words," if I recall correctly. Coulter gets a lot of ink in that book and it's probably a couple of years old by now and I'm sure a second edition would have plenty more slimy Coulter-quotes.

Reply to
DH

"DH" ...

Me neither, thank God, but I'm reasonably sure using them as a campaign issue is wrong.

Sorry, but they should both know that anything to do with public appearances (even just a phone call on a TV show), will affect the campaign. I find it hard to believe that after all these years in politics, Mrs. Edwards isn't aware that her every public move will make headlines. I think it's entirely possible that she did this on her own, but even if she did, his immediately using it for campaign publicity is odious at best. There is a very liberal lady on one of my other favorite forums who liked Edwards until this last stunt. She says she lost all respect, because he proved Coulter was right about his opportunism.

*shrug*

Amen!

Please; I already have stomach problems.

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll®

Ha! Flattery will get you... well, nowhere, actually. ;-) Because that one was just too transparent, to count. ;-P

Natalie is several years younger than I am, though.

Cathy

Reply to
Cathy F.

"Jeff Strickland"...