{OT} Pay it Forward (this is a cool story)

Great story from one of my workmates:

That reminds me though of the story I meant to tell you about paying it forward. I was moving my stuff down to Queens when I was at St.Johns and due to some clerical error I had no dorm room assigned when I got there. I ended up spending the first night in my car, and the battery was being taxed. I was down there on a Wednesday with a plan to drive home Saturday and then catch a train back Sunday for the beginning of classes that Monday. So Friday night I decide to get some fried chicken, and wouldn't you know it, I left my interior light on. Battery. Kaput. SO I walk back to campus (like 8 blocks away) and get my friend Mike to see if he can help jump the car. No dice. Now, keep in mind, I have maybe $50 on me at the time, enough for tolls and gas basically. So I'm in a huge rut. Mike leaves and I decide to see if another car will give it a shot (Mike's battery was kind of old, so I thought maybe something with a better charge would do the trick...), anyway, I'm standing in Popeye's parking lot for like two hours and its gotten dark. I've got the hood of my 93 Accord and my jumpers hanging around my neck, imploring people to help. Maybe 20-35 people just turn away. Then, finally, I'm saved. This van pulls up and out steps this jolly looking Filipino guy named Bert. We try and jump the car, and its dead as dead. The conversation that followed was great. Bert: Yea, it looks like your in a rough spot. Do you have a credit card? Me: Uhh...no. Bert: Hmmm, I always gave my kids credit cards once they went off to school, only to be used in emergencies...like this. Me: Hmmm, well I ought to talk to my parents about that. Bert: So, you have to go back to Massachusetts tomorrow morning? And you have only $50 with you right now? Me: Yea, that's about right. Bert: Hmmm...OK, I'll tell you what, it's almost 8 o'clock now, so places are closing up. I know a place on Northern Ave that'll be open and is pretty cheap. We can split the cost of the battery. Just the fact this guy was cool from the minute he stopped made me comfortable to ride over to the auto place with him. As we pull in, he stops and says "Well, its about 200 plus miles home, and there will tolls, and you may want coffee...OK, I'll put the battery on my charge card. Don't worry." So now I'm falling over myself thanking this guy - he just dropped $75 on a complete stranger. Then it gets better... As we're driving back to Popeye's he asks: "So, do you have any tools in your car to change the battery?" "Uhhh...no, no I don't think so." "Hmmm...well, OK, I guess we will have to go to my house and grab my tools. It's only down a couple blocks from Popeye's." So, I'm parked outside of this apartment complex for like 10 minutes while Bert goes and grabs a toolbox and I can't make out where we are exactly since by now it's night time and there are like 20-30 apartments in this place. Bert comes out, we go back and he helps me pull the battery and as I finish up, I turn and ask: "Bert can you please give me your address so I can pay you back for this battery. I'll mail you a money order or something." He smiles, puts his hand out for me to shake and says: "Just pay it forward." And drove home, never to be seen again. He saved my ass, and I'll never forget how cool that guy is.

Reply to
Hachiroku

Yes, a splendid story...one about true good will an charity, and a whole lot better than the results of a "charity ball" where they may raise $20,000, but the ladies' gowns cost much more than that.

Reply to
mack