OT: Picking on WebTVers

WTF? With all the stuff there is to bitch about, why are some wasting time picking on people who use WebTV?

It's Internet access, isn't it? So what?

See my response to NOSPAM in, of all places, a discussion on WD-40. How the hell a discussion on WD-40 turns into a reefing session on WebTVers I'll never know, but it seems in this group, anything can happen. At any rate, the point I'm trying to make is, if the hardware you have does the job you want it to do, good enough!

Oh, I forgot. You're not a REAL poster until you have a REAL computer.

Sorry, RAV...

I guess that lets me and my PentiumI 225MHz machine out, too...

(yeah, 225MHz. I overclocked the hell out of the 175 MHz processor, the video card and the memory. Been running it that way since 1996. I'd match it to some 500's NP...)

Reply to
hachiroku

hachiroku wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@Trueno.GTS:

Webbies violate Usenet custom more than the usual AOL-ers and other noobs.

They, more often than others,

1) post binaries to non-binary groups; 2) post in html; 3) do not quote previous posts in their replies; 4) post in ALL CAPS; 5) put tags in their sigs; 6) become indignant when you point out to them that they are not being polite, and declare that they should not have to follow what they consider to be stupid, hide-bound rules.
Reply to
TeGGeR®

Number 4 and Number 6 is not much different than people like Learning Richard and Scott in Florida who constantly post OT crap in this newsgroup.

Those who berate WebTVers before trying to inform them in a helping manner exacerbate the animosity.

Reply to
badgolferman

^ I think we found somebody more fun to pick on! =)

Seriously man, that speed is barely capable of running Usenet. =P

Reply to
Josh

Well, I may not be up to snuff with you on hopping up 'Yotas, but I'll match wits with anyone when it comes to computers.

Actually, I retired that about 6 months ago; something happened to the KB bios. That was the machine that went on the 'net. Now using a machine someone gave me, but it's a name brand so the bios can't be fudged. The machine that DOESN'T go on the net is an Athlon XP2200+ clocked about 15% over with an ATI running a hack that lets you bump it up about 10MHz and Kingston HyperX clocked to the max. I have a Soyo DRAGON that let's you overclock selectively, so the FSB is running 400, but the memory is running 250 for an effective 500. I CAN clock the RAM to 520, but it becomes unstable (on Windoze) at 510; runs stably on Linux at that.

Reply to
hachiroku

dizzy

Reply to
Gary L. Burnore

or post with annoying punctuation ... with no sentences ... and only ellispses ... because of they're ... illiteracy ... their is no excuse for this ... these peeps are loosers ... they cant spell ... there all idiots ...

Reply to
No Spam

Hey, thanks for seeing things the way they should be seen. _It works for me._ I've had a wonderful presence in usenet, starting with my first nick as the Jeep Chick. The only thing I use webtv for is my usenet involvement. Ironic, considering it's the toughest neighborhood this side of Cleveland. I grew up the youngest girl with 3 older brothers. I *have* to be tough!

Reply to
ravelation

Oh well...

Reply to
hachiroku

Its all a big joke to me - the fact that people can try to rip webtv'ers to bits when this Toyota group is at least 50% full of off-topic political crap makes me chuckle. As for top posting or bottom posting, all have their uses. If you are following a thread you dont need to read through all the previous post information to see the latest comment, unless you have a very bad memory. Also, with todays modern computers having 17inch displays and more as standard, there is little point in bottom posting, if you cant remember what its a reply to, glance down - most of the last posts will be there in view already. As a side point you should be trimming most of the cack out of a post anyway and just replying to whats relevant, with quotes or >s so the post is clear. It makes little sense, when following a post, to have to scroll through pages of junk on every post just to find a short reply.

And no im not new to the whole internet thing. And i use an Athlon

3000, 1Gb ram, 120Gb HDD to post ;) J
Reply to
Coyoteboy

Absolutely clueless about how Usenet works, aren't you?

Reply to
No Spam

Actually, that's not entirely true. Some newsservers dump the previous post, so you have no context of what the person is saying in reply. Also, unfortunately, some ISP's newsservers, such as EarthStink, do not display all of the posts, so if you reply with no copy of the original comment, we have no way of understanding your reply. Personally, top-posting doesn't bother me, but I agree that people don't snip out enough of the previous headers and such. I try to trim down to all of those whose comments are in the thread, and then snip any irrelevent info. Sorry, but there's no way to force people to take the time to do that, so I just either ignore the non-context comments, or ask the poster what they're referring to.

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll®

More than agree with you there, CB!

Oh, Man!

I can go up to 2600~3000 with my system, but if I'm using HyperX the most RAM I can use is 512M. I can use 4G at DDR3200, but for 3500 or above I'm stuck at 512.

Reply to
hachiroku

Gee, I agree with him, and my first experiences with UUNet go back about, oh, almost 20 years with a job I had. Remember, when top posting USED to be the norm, so you didn't have to wade through acres of crap? You DO remember that, right?

Also, there is a web site out there somewhere that lists a lot of things dweebs do on Usenet, like using lots of asterisks, etc. Must have been written by a noob.

Back in the day, there was a very popular newsreader, one of the first, loosly based on Word Star. In the convention used, placing a word in

*asterisks* meant it would appear as *bold* face, placing a word in /slashes/ meant it would appear /italicized/. There were more, I can't remember them. There is a reader called KNode for Linux K Desktop that follows some of these conventions, like defaulting to top posting; must have been written by someone clueless with Usenet...

(Oh, yeah; elipses mean either the poster is still thinking, or the last thought is still open to more thought...)

Reply to
hachiroku

Clueless.

Reply to
dizzy

The solution to "acres of crap" is proper trimming.

Nope.

Reply to
dizzy

Well, that's how it was about 17 years ago.

Reply to
hachiroku

Yes. I also know that "glancing down" often tells you nothing at all about what a poster is replying to. Usenet is asynchronous, and the reply post may be displayed before the original post has even arrived on the news server. If you really had been around Usenet as long as you pretend, you'd remember that, and understand that it's still that way today; but instead you agree with a poster that thinks that there's no need to include a quote for context. Sounds like you're still living in "September."

Way to go with the wordstar strawmen, though. Exactly what the f*ck that has to do with quoting is not obvious, but maybe you just snipped that explanation and forgot to "glance down" and see what you stepped in.

Reply to
No Spam