(OT:) We can't drill in the Gulf, let's let the Nigerians

This is where touchy-feely Liberalism gets you:

Congress won't allow drilling in the Gulf of Mexico by US companies. However, at a meeting of oil producing countries, Nigeria is inking a 100- year lease to drill in the Gulf's oil reserves.

This makes sense, huh? A highly regulated US industry is banned from exploring for oil with the best equipment in the world, but we're going to allow one of the least technologically advance countries in the world do it.

When the *HELL* are we going to vote these dimwit Democrats OUT OF OFFICE so we can become competitive again?!

Reply to
hachiroku

How do you ***KNOW*** with absolute, ironclad certainty that this is the work of democrats? Furthermore, it seems to be a back room business deal that somehow gets around the rules. Provide all your information on this issue.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Watch for yourself:

Beck, every day at 7p and 9p ET on Headline News How do I know it was Democrats? Who the hell else tries to drag this country into the Stone Age?

Reply to
hachiroku

There's nothing on that page related to your original message. You must've heard about it on television. When you find an actual news story about it, y'all come back and tell me about it.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

You mean we can stop North and South American companies from drilling oil in the Gulf but we can't stop Nigeria? Sounds like a sweetheart deal between Bush, Cheny, and Nigeria.

=========================

I don't suppose the deal could've involved golf course negotiations involving any of the biggest corporate players in Nigeria, like Mobil, Chevron and Shell.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Reply to
Mike hunt

Once again proving you can't read, it's going to be on CNN in about 15 minutes.

If you put the bottle down NOW, you might even be able to comprehend it.

If you don't, you'll have to wait until 9 PM when it coms back on.

Reply to
Hachiroku

I don't have cable TV. Find a source to corroborate Beck's story.

And by the way, if a corporation manages to skirt the law as you've described, then that's not the news story. The story should be who in our government was paid off to allow it to happen.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

What I don't know is who they're signing the lease with. They may not be drilling in US waters.

The thing is, they are drilling in the Gulf. Or, will be.

So, instead of doing the drilling ourselves, we're going to let someone else do the drilling and then charge us a premium price for oil we could get ourselves. You can thank the tree huggers and the Democrats for that.

An oil field isn't usually localized, they're usually very large. We could probably tap the same oil field from within our own waters and use the oil to offset the prices ramped up by the Chinese. But the dunderheads that control policy right now won't allow that, cause it might foul up the ecology of the area.

An oil spill 200 miles out isn't much different from an oil spill 160 miles out. But, let's just go ahead and let everyone else grab it so we can buy it back at bloated prices, and get the warm fuzzies cause WE didn't cause an oil spill, 'K?

Reply to
Hachiroku

We need to wait until tomorrow when some reputable news sources pick up the story. As it stands right now, you are missing about 99% of the information needed to discuss this issue.

You will now disagree. But, you need to explain the following: If "Nigeria" drills for oil, it's not "Nigeria" doing the drilling. It's one of several companies which do the work. At least two of those companies are American. So, the law must say that they can't drill in certain places if it's on their own behalf, but they *can* drill in those places if it's on behalf of a foreign government.

Is that what you're saying?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Not really.

Why aren't US companies drilling for oil in the Gulf? Let's discuss that, eh?

Who cares if it's Nigeria, South Africa, China or Timbuktu? In other words, WHAT DIFFERENCE DOES IT MAKE?!?!?! Why aren't *WE* drilling for oil right in our own friggin back yard?!?!

Lay off the bottle so I don't have to hit you over the head next time!

Reply to
Hachiroku

Boy, are you thick. WHO CARES WHO is getting the output?! I don't care if it's your Auntie Grizelda! The fact is, *WE'RE* not getting it!

Is it really that hard a concept to grasp?

The deal with Nigeria hasn't been inked yet, but there are plenty of references to Venezuela and China drilling in the Gulf. They're drilling in reserves shared between the US and Mexico.

The Truth is out there.

Reply to
hach

Now I understand what's happening here. Beck had no solid sources. He expressed opinion (or outrage), and you are turning it into "facts".

Besides Venezuela & China drilling in our reserves, who else drills there?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Wow. Are you sure your name isn't Dense?

Beck said that there are talks going on about having Nigeria drill in the Gulf for oil. It's not yet a done deal.

*I* said there are plenty of people drilling in the Gulf for oil. Out of them, we're about the least. This is because of the blockades put up by Congress.

See, Joe, the real point of this post was the blockades put up for Domestic oil exploration by Congress, and if we don't get the oil, others will. Following along so far?

Now, if you care to discuss this, be my guest. If you're just going to keep up the subterfuge, I suggest you just STFU.

Reply to
Hach

Here's where you need to provide legislative details, not generalizations. Give me either the formal names of the legislation, or the the bill numbers. I know your generalizations are coming from TV and/or radio, but we need details. Reality, in other words.

The republicans, led by a boy from the oil biz, had 4 years in which to overturn the environmental regs you're bitching about. I wonder why they didn't do that. It would've been easy for them.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

So you trust Chinese and Nigerians to do a better job of Conservation?

Reply to
Hachiroku

You're kidding, right?

The laws were passed in 2006. Let's see, who was controlling Congress in

2006...
Reply to
Hachiroku

Hachiroku +O+A+m+/

No, I'm not kidding. You just said the laws were passed in 2006, so you *DO* have a bit of detail about the laws. But, you can't name them. Who told you "2006"?

More information.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

As of this morning, there was NOTHING on his site about the story you're telling. Stop posting that link. Show me at least one reputable source for the story.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom