I think I found the error when I'm working on cars...

other than even starting in the first place ;)
I think it has more to do with my language. The kids next door get a real vocabulary lesson when I'm working on a car.
I think the problem is, when I'm trying to do something and I say "God damn it!", he *DOES* and it makes it ten times worse.
Next time I think I'll try "God bless it!" and see what happens!
:)
Hachiroku ハチロク wrote:

You're probably not holding your mouth just right when you say it.
On Fri, 09 May 2008 08:52:26 -0400, Ph@Boy wrote:

As someone told me, I'm using the wrong language to boot.
I need to have Ray drill me in Japanese 'explitives'...

I use English when I'm working on cars...
--

Ray O
(correct punctuation to reply)
On Fri, 09 May 2008 20:47:37 -0500, Ray O wrote:

But the problem is, we have Japanese cars. One of the mechanics I have said, they don't understand English, so he learned a few choice words in Japanese for when he works on Toyotas and Hondas...

I don't think that there is a large vocabulary in Japanese for situations when things don't go quite right when working on cars, or if there is, I never learned it.
On the other hand, my American vocabulary got lots of use when trying to get the rusty bolts off of the transmission pan on a '97 Escort - there is no transmission pan drain plug, all of the bolts were pretty corroded, most were obstructed by a cross member, you have to unbolt the transmission mount and raise the engine and transmission, and then try to remove the pan while it is full of fluid without dumping it all over the place. What I thought was a half hour job turned out to be around 6 hours, and I'm not really done because I probably should do someting about the pan bolt that snapped off.
--

Ray O
(correct punctuation to reply)

I purchased a transmission filter at the same time I got the ATF before I crawled under the car to see the setup and didn't realize what I was up against. I figured "how hard can it be?" Besides, I don't have a fluid sucker outer because I've never had a reason to get one, but I will the next time the fluid needs changing! Now that I know that the filter is just a screen and there is no real reason to change it unless the transmission is toast, I'll probably just drain and refill through the fill tube. BTW, changing the ATF fixed the slippage and shift shock.
--

Ray O
(correct punctuation to reply)
On Sat, 10 May 2008 21:36:28 -0400, Scott in Florida wrote:

How did you hit 55,000 miles twice?
On Sat, 10 May 2008 22:26:24 -0400, Scott in Florida wrote:

Must use the same belt (type) as my older Subaru. Guy said change it every 50,000, since it's only slightly bigger than a fan belt.
<snipped>

We've only had the Escort for a couple of months, but it is the same model year and has about the same mileage (135K) as our Avalon. I don't know that much about the Escort's maintenance and repair history, but we got it from a friend.
Here's what I've noticed so far:
Paint and upholstery in the Escort and Avalon are in roughly the same condition.
Both front doors on the Escort sag slightly when open; the rear doors are fine. There is no door sag on the Avalon.
The rear strut mount bushings on the Escort are making a groaning noise when going over bumps and will need replacement to fix the noise. The front strut mount bushings on the Avalon made a rattling noise that was fixed by replacement.
When we got new tires for the Escort, the tire place said it needed ball joints. I have not checked to see if this is true or not. Other than the struts, the Avalon's steering and suspension is all original and in good condition.
There were 7 bulbs out in the Escort when we got it - both license plate bulbs, the CHMSL bulb, a backup light bulb, the dome light bulb, the shift console bulb, and a dashboard bulb. The only bulb I have replaced in the Avalon is one of the CHMSL bulbs.
Changing the transmission fluid in the Avalon is a LOT easier than in the Escort. The Avalon's 4 speed transmission shifts more smoothly than the Escort 3 speed, but that may be more because the Avalon is more upscale than the entry level Escort than due to age.
The shift lever on the Avalon is a lot easier to move than in the Escort. I don't know if the Escort's shifter is difficult to move because of age or if that is normal.
Changing the oil and filter is easy on both cars.
According to Gates web site, the Escort has a timing chain, while the Avalon has a belt.
My son told me today that the AC doesn't work very well in the Escort - I'll have to see what's up with that. It may need a charge or he may just be used to the frigid air from the Avalon's AC.
For the 2 months or so that we have had it, the Escort has been OK, and the price was right.
--

Ray O
(correct punctuation to reply)

Most of the theoretical advice I dish out here is based on past experience - I was getting a little rusty under the hood. If the Escort turns out to be repair-intensive, I'll at least keep in practice :-)
--

Ray O
(correct punctuation to reply)
<snipped>

Thanks...
My son just informed me that the Escort is becoming "hard to start." I guess we'll take it out and find out what's up with that.
--

Ray O
(correct punctuation to reply)

Well, they could pick up a Corolla if they want to pay for it, all I've invested in the Escort so far are tires, a battery, a bunch of bulbs, a transmission screen, and some ATF.
By the way, I tried starting the Escort 5 times, caught every time.
--

Ray O
(correct punctuation to reply)

Hey! Don't jinx me - the car is working OK now, and with prime climbing and camping season coming up and with 2 kids in college, the last thing I want to do is dump time and money into a car!
--

Ray O
(correct punctuation to reply)

<snipped>
I was considering that, but there are couple of catches. The car was a gift to my sons from a fellow Scout leader so I hate to insult them by implying that the car isn't "good enough" for my boys when the husband drove the car every day until his wife's father passed away and he got his father-in-law's car. The deal is that I'm going to make a donation to our local council in her father's name for the value of the car.
The other catch is that KBB lists the private party sale price for the Escort as $1,500, while a 97 Corolla with the exact same equipment and mileage in the same condition is $2,875. To get a Corolla for roughly the same price as what the Escort is worth, it would have to be 5 years older - 1992, with 100,000 more miles at 235,000 miles in good condition is worth $1,435 private party sale.
I think I'll just take my chances with the Escort, wait for the kids to finish college, and then they can buy their own ride ;-)
--

Ray O
(correct punctuation to reply)
On Tue, 13 May 2008 21:58:24 -0500, Ray O wrote:

Ray, Ray, Ray...we know that Real World, the Corolla with 135,000 is worth about $4,000, and the Escort is worth about $350...
And the Corolla with 235,000 is worth about $200. That's what scrap cars are going for now. (I don't think I'd buy a Corolla with 235,000 for anywhere near what you listed. $600 tops, but it would have to be in really good shape! I paid $250 for the Celica with 225,000, and got the Tercel wagon with 210,000 for free. I sent the Tercel to the YunkJard...bad move on my part. It was a good car. The Celica...I got almost 4 years out of it...)

That is my point! I used KBB as a conservative guide.
--

Ray O
(correct punctuation to reply)
On Wed, 14 May 2008 00:29:12 -0500, Ray O wrote:

Ray Ray Ray!!! I used to use KBB to *JACK* the prices up, since they are for sellers.
NADAguides is a more accurate guide for buyers to use.
On Wed, 14 May 2008 08:02:29 -0400, Scott in Florida wrote:

Everything has a price, Scott!
Of course, unless you get a Matrix, you have no choice for a Toyota wagon. Er, new anyway.
Based on your figures, It would appear the Escort has better resale value than a similar Corolla when one considers the Corolla cost nearly $2,000 MORE when new. In fact as a percentage of retained value, based on the cost of acquisition, the Escort has far great percentage of return on the original investment than does a similar Corolla ;)