Overcharged AC

Manifold gauge set: $60 Electronic Leak Detector: $100 for the cheapie, $200 nice Safety Goggles, Gloves, pocket thermometers: $25 License to buy your own refrigerant: $25 and a few hours of study.

Satisfaction of Doing It /Right/ Yourself: Priceless. ;-)

You don't have to change it over from R-12 to R-134a /IF/ the system is tight and leak-free - it's not illegal to keep refilling old equipment if it's tight, they just made it difficult and expensive.

And if you haven't had to touch it since the vehicle was new, it's tight - unless the compressor crank seal just gave out, holding more than 5 or 6 years between charges is pretty darned good. Just permeation leaks in the hoses and seals will make it go low after 10 years, 15 at the outside.

Your car is not all copper tubing and hermetically sealed like a home refrigerator, where tiny leaks are not an issue and 40 years on a charge is normal.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

Thanks for the into. I've been going crazy the last few weeks. I have this check gauge I bought at Discount Auto. My AC was cooling fine until about a month ago. Naturally..Doing the hotter months.. Anyway so I put the gauge on the low side and it rocked up to between yellow and red..I thought it was over charged. Then I moved the hose that connects to the gauge and dropped down to normal or 2.5--4. So is it to hight or too low. The air comes out cool not cold. And when I'm driving I'm almost at my sweating point.. A little stuffy but a little cool. I hate talking it to any repair shops around here. I got burnt more the once with those guys. Florida is natorious for rip off so called macanics. Thanks and have a great Cool Summer

Reply to
rstampa

Unfortunately, you are probably better off going to real mechanic who understands A/C to fix this. The problem is not that there is not enough refrigerant in the system. The problem is there is a leak someplace.

And if you don't know what you are doing, you can really mess up the system and get hurt.

You should see a professional about this.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff