Plan on driving a new car on a 3000mile highway trip. Bad idea?

On my Corolla, I have 260,000 miles. That's 81 oil changes at about 3,200 miles between changes. At an average of $2/qt, that's $650. I buy filters in bulk, since I usually have two cars that use the same filter. I get genuine Toyota filters, by the case, for about $3.50 each.

Over the life of the car I have had no oil related failures, it doesn't burn oil no blow-by, nothing. The engine responds like it did the day I bought the car.

And if you average the life of the car, that works out to an oil change every 3 months.

$650 sounds like cheap insurance to me.

Reply to
Hachiroku

Again, if you believe that 3000 mile oil changes are what is preserving your Corolla, then why don't you do even more and do oil changes every

1000 miles. There's just as much evidence that 1000 mile oil changes are more beneficial than 5000 mile oil changes than 3000 mule oil changes being more beneficial than 5000 mile oil changes (in both cases there is no evidence at all).

You're throwing money away in an illogical and misguided belief that you're doing your engine a favor by changing the oil far more often than necessary. You'd have gotten the same service out of the Corolla doing the 5000 mile oil changes.

You're talking about a Corolla here. They could mount guns on them and send them into battle as a tank. I know someone who routinely ran their Corolla 10,000 miles between oil changes and they still had over 200K miles on it whent they sold it 15 years later.

You've somehow reached the erroneous conclusion that having no oil-related failures is due to changing the oil far more often than necessary. Yet if you ask any Toyota mechanic (or any independent mechanic for that matter) about the longevity of a Corolla maintained according the factory recommended schedule you'd also find no oil related failures.

You need to learn to look at the big picture, and think logically. Don't draw baseless conclusions.

In fact, you probably lost some of the engine life from you cars by changing the intitial oil too early, but again that's not something that you'll ever know for sure.

Reply to
SMS

Wow! Thanks for an intelligent response rather than coming back with the guns blaring.

OK, maybe I'm wrong with the 1,500 mile oil change. I dunno. I will stick to the 3,000 miles, however, esp on the older cars. On my Scion I set the 'reminder' to 4,500 miles since that car is running synthetic.

However, I also take into account other factors. If the oil looks dirty, out it goes, but not before 3,000 miles. There have been times I didn't change the oil right at 3,000, but usually before 5,000. If at 3,000 it looks dirty, it goes.

Toyota engines run hot, and heat doesn't help motor oil at all.

I also occasionally treat it to some Slick 50, too...

Reply to
Hachiroku

Real evidence, not anecdotes.

The plural of anecdote is not data.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

It's not insurance. In fact, you risk getting a faulty filter, not tightening the drain plug properly, etc. Plus, it is a waste of money. And, the oil filter has tiny holes in the filter media such that during the first several miles, the oil filter doesn't filter out small particualrs so well.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

how many elephants are there in your refrigerator? did you hide the butter?

Reply to
jim beam

3000 mile change? 4500 mile change on synthetic? change it when it "looks dirty"? "toyota engines run hot"??? "heat doesn't help motor oil"??? you use slick 50?

that's priceless!

dude, sheep are made to be fleeced. you're a sheep. you're getting fleeced.

baaa.

Reply to
jim beam

you mean the world's #1 superpower? the global leader in technology? the wealthiest nation on earth?

you made a correct statement, but only in the way that a broken clock is right twice a day.

Reply to
jim beam

what an extraordinary statement. would you like fries with that?

Reply to
jim beam

Those scoffs above show you're an idiot.

My cars run well for a couple hundred thousand miles, I get better economy than the EPA rated mileage in everyday driving, my cars pass EPA inspections as well at 200,000 miles as they did new,I don't have to do a lot of repairs, or change rings, or have knocking sounds, and I drive like a bat out of hell.

What do you do? wait until it no longer registers on the dipstick, and then add a few quarts till the next time?

Tell me, what the f*ck is *WRONG* with you?

Reply to
Hachiroku

I was thinking more the one that acts like you:

Can't read Can't do math Has China do all it's manufacturing Buys oil from enemies rather than getting it's own

At least I'm correct that much.

Reply to
Hachiroku

Come on over! We'll start up the 23 year old Corolla, and you can see for yourself.

Reply to
Hachiroku

From reading about your 'expertise', I'd have guessed that's about what you're good for. Can I have a shake, too?

Reply to
Hachiroku

well, they sure show /somebody/ is an idiot!

that's because it's a TOYOTA, not because of your retarded oil change witchcraft.

i /love/ taunting retards. i'm sick.

Reply to
jim beam

but you're serving. i'll have a double large fries please. plenty of salt. no ketchup.

Reply to
jim beam

You are funny when you drink.

But, your name-calling speaks to who doesn't know what he is talking about.

EPA doesn't have inspections.

None of which shows that too-frequent oil changes are the cause.

You are a piece of work, aren't you?

You keep making stupid responses even when you are wrong. Are related to Mike Hunt, by any chance?

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Usenet, as we know it, would cease to exist if real evidence were provided instead on anecdotal evidence.

I like that!

Reply to
SMS

Good for you.

The manual says every 7,500 miles. So, why is 5,000 better than 7,500? Or better than 3,000? Let's see what jim moonbeam has to say about this.

Reply to
Hachiroku

I try to change the oil whenever I fill the gas tank. You just can't be too careful...

Reply to
Joe

Why am I wrong? Who says I'm wrong? You? jim moonbat? You said you change your oil every 5,000 miles. The manual says 7,500. You must be an idiot for changing your oil so often.

Shut up while you're ahead, dipshit.

Reply to
Hachiroku