Q. For you techs about brake bleeding...

No, i have a 185mm disc front (4 piston) and 165 rear (2 piston). But you can run same size discs no problems. Most cross country guys run same size front and rear - i came from more of a DH background and already had the 185 front and liked its awesome stopping power.

Depends what you mean "real life" i suppose. I'd put them on a normal commuter bike for the lack of maintenance alone, despite barely using brakes on a commute. If you're talking just a ride round the corner to the shops - its probably just going to add stealability to your bike.

I've never yet known anyone who tried discs go back to rim brakes. I spent ages convincing my mate to try them, even offered to buy them off him if he didnt like them. Needless to say they stayed on lol. They are more progressive but ultimately more reliable feel-wise. If you squeeze lighly you can drag a nice long drag but if you pull hard you know you'll get a proportional stopping power. With V's i found that you could control speed nicely but if you really needed to stop you pull hard and find you get frame flex (rears) and cable stretch, meaning you need to input a disproportionate amouint of force to get the same stopping power. But ultimate stopping is not the point really - we can all lock brakes on a bike (though i had never locked the front until i got the 4pots!) but IMO its just a nice, more progressive and reliable stopping feel. You know that even when you go plunging through puddles and rivers you can still stop as well as before.

I spent ages with Hydraulic rim brakes, they're the half-way-house and work nicely until you get ice buildup or lots of mud, or if you have a lightweight frame - they are so powerful ive moved the rear seat stays apart by 15mm with my hydro rim brakes - obviously losing half the stopping power. Then you need frame braces to stop the flex which adds weight to your bike again etc etc.

If you get cheaper ones you can end up with caliper flex that loses half of the point of them, and cable actuated discs really dont have much point TBH but good hydraulics are only a little more than good cable V's so in my opinion theres little point going with the V unless you dont have the mount points on your frame.

Coyoteboy

Thats very true, 15mph is fast when you hit the side of a car and boy does it hurt leaving blood trails across the roof of a car lol.

Coyoteboy

Funky arent they :) Worth it just for the machined billet aluminium nice looks lol. I think all in a front brake. Mines considered a heavy DH brake at 550g all in, disc, caliper and lever. Compare that to a good lightweight XC rim brake (shimano's second-to-top-of-the-range XTs) with all its failings and maintenance at 500g all in - theres little competition!

Yes, you need disc hubs and they are built with a slight offset to allow the rim to be central while fitting the extra metalwork in. Disc hubs come in about the same sort of weight as normal ones and about $10 more. But you can pick up a full set of disc-ready wheels for $150 roughly these days. Disc is becoming the norm. You also need a frame that has the mounts (on that original link you can see a little bracket built into the fork leg) but almost all modern bikes have them. You can have mounts welded on in some cases or get a universal mount for the rear but these are naturally not as good as factory fitted items.

Coyoteboy

You dont get any of that with discs. Strangely my front one seems to work more in the wet :-S. Ive not figured out why yet but it does lol. The problem you move towards is can the tyres keep themselves stuck to the road, you have to pay more attention to the surface you are on.

All fun though,

Reply to
Coyoteboy

Wouldnt be without my helmet these days though, seen too many people with holes in their heads. Had to pick stones from between the scalp and skull of a french guy in the Alps - that convinced me lol. Of course it doesnt really help in a high speed impact but when you fall off and clobber your head on a pointy step/root/car corner you're thankful you bought one lol. Problem is that when you buy a full-face one you feel somewhat invincible and just ride faster to compensate lol.

I think that the problem these days is that people arent willing to accept the consequences of risks so they just try to stop everyone taking risks. I know that when i go kitesurfing i could end up smashed on the rocks or i could break my neck mountainbiking but I accept that if it happens - i chose to risk it. I like risk :) You never feel as alive as when youre close to death :-) But you never feel quite so stupid as when you're picking your teeth out of a tree lol.

Coyoteboy

These ones?

Coyoteboy

Yeah, I can verify that. When I was in 8th grade, I had a Buick pull out in front of me and I went up over the hood. Then again, the car was pulling out of a driveway and I was riding on the sidewalk, and came out from behind a hedge that was blocking my view of the car and vice versa...

Years later, I was on the other side of the same scenario. A girl (who, it happened, was the same age I was in the previous incident) smacked into the right-front fender of my Toyota pickup as I sat in a driveway waiting to pull out into traffic. She was riding on the sidewalk, against traffic, no hands, with a sack of burgers in one hand and a Coke in the other, and not watching where she was going. She didn't get off as easily as I did, though: she broke her collar- bone against my right windshield pillar.

Geoff

Reply to
Geoff Miller

Ouch, both sound painful but collar bone...ouch! I have to admit i was riding normally but sneezed. It was a parked car i hit, but the funny thing was the owner ran over shouting he was sorry lol.

Coyoteboy

Walking into the edge of a partially opened door at 3 or 4 MPH, will blacken an eye and bloody ones nose as well ;)

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

That I can't deny but i have no experience of walking into doors :) Something i must do before I reach 30 I feel.

Coyoteboy

Jeez you are a young punk.... ;-)

Go try it....it DOES hurt....lol

Reply to
Scott in Florida

Shhh, i was just building a reputation on here, dont spoil it :-)

I'll report back when i do. Dont hold your breath!

Reply to
Coyoteboy

LOL....don't do it just for the thrill....

Those things just seem to happen.

I don't wish em on anyone...

Reply to
Scott in Florida