Re: '97 4Runner - blown engine - keep or write off

>> My '97 4Runner engine is gone - it's somewhere between >> $2000 to $3500 to repair (awaiting details). >> >> So, is it worth fixing? Or write it off? Bluebook is >> about $5K. >> >> Tough decision - looking for net.wisdom on which way to go. >

worth is zero - I'm 500 miles from home.

Unless you 4Runner is relatively low mileage in excellent condition
131K miles

it for a couple more years at least. When you say the engine is "gone"

>is it non-functional, or just running poorly?

Not sure yet - mechanic said $2000 to $4000 - it's serious.

Personally, I think you kept it too long already :)

Maybe ... :)

alan

Reply to
Alan Strassberg

I just have to ask, what happened the engine blew at that low milage ?

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

This was a 3.0 V6 - the oil pan contained two connecting rods in pieces. The guy said it lost oil pressure for some unknown reason.

I'm opting to get a used engine with 60K miles installed - engine is $2000, labor $1500, 6 month warranty nationwide but parts only. The rest of the car is in good shape so decided to keep it.

alan

Reply to
Alan Strassberg