Re: '97 4Runner - blown engine - keep or write off

You can check with the local junkyard and see if you can pull an engine in reasonably good condition and have it installed. Many places actually do this and give you a 3-4 month warranty without telling you the engine came from a junkyard.

A 22REC is said to be $400-700. Say pay the same amount for labor you'll have $800-1400. However, it the engine is faulty and you have to pull it even under junkyard warranty then you're out labor.

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 My '97 4Runner engine is gone - it's somewhere between > =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 $2000 to $3500 to repair (awaiting details). > > =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 So, is it worth fixing? =A0Or write it off? Bluebook is > =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 about $5K. > > =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 Tough decision - looking for net.wisdom on which way to go= . > > =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 alan
Reply to
johngdole

A 22REC is said to be $400-700. Say pay the same amount for labor you'll have $800-1400. However, it the engine is faulty and you have to pull it even under junkyard warranty then you're out labor.

*********** If the OP decides to go the junk yard route, he would be better off getting the correct engine - 2RZ-FE if it is a 4 cylinder and a 3RZ-FE if it is a 6 cylinder.
Reply to
Ray O

Alternatively, he can go the route of getting one from an importer. You can get an entire engine delivered for very little money.

I was able to purchase a 7MGE guaranteed under 40KMiles, including the wiring harness,Computer,Alternator,AC Compressor, power steering pump etc DELIVERED for less than I could get one at a junk yard that I'd have to go an pickup.

Reply to
Gary L. Burnore