Re: {OT} American consumer takes it in the wallet again

Why not do the smart thing and conserve energy and use renewable > resources?

Almost nobody wants to conserve energy unless the price rises enough (it wouldn't hurt if we gradually raised gas taxes but rebated them

100% on a flat basis), but we could save more energy through conservation than we could gain through more drilling or mining, and conservation can be implemented a lot sooner.

Renewable resources aren't as much an answer or as easy an answer as we'd like. Solar makes a lot of economic sense for heating domestic water but not yet for electricity. Reprocessing nuclear fuel or breeding it is probably a good idea, but trying to substitute one hydrocarbon for another is mostly a zero sum game.

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly

Apparently you have not tried to dispose of a refrigerator lately. See it that is free or nearly free. It costs a lot to conserve that steel by recycling, and steel is our most recycled material. Try to conserve by taking cardboard to be recycled as well for an education ;)

Yet the price of energy doesn't factor in that the supply of fossil fuels is limited or the damage done to the environment.

Yet, conservation is free or nearly free.

Reply to
Mike Hunter