Re: OT - DC principal quits

No commentary is necessary except to say this district is hardly unique

> in the nation: > >

Cry me a river........ He is going to have to sell a lot of cupcakes to match that 95K salary, which wasn't all that bad for 9 months work/year. Educators are some of the most over paid out of contact with reality when it comes the gov't. Let's see if he makes a dollar clear profit from each cupcake and is open 200 days/year... 475 cupcakes a day will do it. To make that dollar profit he is going to need some gov't help though unless he can sell them for five dollars each. I hope he makes it, he can pay some taxes then instead up sucking them up....

Reply to
Fat-Dumb and Happy

Wrong. With planning, summer school, etc., it is really a 12 months a year job.

Not compared with the private sector: Professionals with similar educational levels make significantly more than teachers.

Have you ever seen what a teacher does? I get in about 8 am and don't leave until about 5 PM. On top of that, there is lesson planning, correcting papers, etc. And, I am sometimes there later than that or on weekends. This summer I am going to two workshops at my own expense.

Teachers do work hard.

Jeff

Reply to
dr_jeff

Yeah yeah, you grade papers till midnight every day and have to buy the poor kids pencils and paper .... we've heard it all, worse than the firemen... Instead of going to workshops during your 3 month vacation, you could get a real job and do some real work with all that time off. Not only would you earn some extra spending money but you would come to realize what you are actually worth to a company. The best part, you might learn how the real world works, things the students could actually benefit the students. Oh, the "educators", I'd sure like to be able to buy them for what they are worth and sell them for what they think they are worth....... Austerity can't come a minute to soon...

Reply to
Fat-Dumb and Happy

I just said I work hard for my money.

2 month vacation.

When I worked as a software engineer, I made significantly more than I do now. That was before the bonuses or stock options. So, I know what I am worth to a company. And, I do know how the real world works.

Thanks for asking.

BTW, it is not like working for a company is particularly special. Working directly for the people is a good thing, too, even if the total compensation (benefits + pay) is less.

Why would you want to take a loss?

In NYC, they decided not to do layoffs because they realized there aren't enough teachers in the system to educate the students they have.

You act like austerity is a good thing. However, the students do need the services that have been cut, like special education services, after school programs and small class sizes. In New York State, they even cut the January exams that are needed for graduation.

Kids are not like little widgets.

Jeff

Reply to
dr_jeff

Correction. SOME teachers work hard. Around here, in Edmonton, by

3:15 p.m., 90% of the vehicles are gone from the teachers' parking lots.
Reply to
Sharx3335