Re: Riding a bike in London is risky business

In message , "His Highness the TibetanMonkey, Creator of the Movement of Tantra-Hammock" writes

What it would be like to ride a bike in >Afghanistan?

Why don't you try it?

Reply to
Clive

I'm happy to hear the news report. I'm all against violence.

Reply to
His Highness the TibetanMonkey

London vs. NYC vs. Miami?

Miami bus system is in shambles so getting around by bus is not an option (unless you are retired). And riding a bike is something you do short of Euthanasia...

Now, America shares some common dangers not seen in the civilized world: PEOPLE DRIVE CUSTOMARILY PHONE IN HAND. I don't know about NYC, but here is the norm. We also have the lion's share of Supersized Unnecessary Vehicles that add extra aggressiveness and size to the road (they really ROAR). Road rage is daily life in the city, and I've been attacked and spit upon for giving a finger to a driver minding my business.

I guess we are down there with Kabul.

There must be a way. The Velib is already in place after all. The Parisian model is interesting. I think they ride mostly on the road and people are fine. THERE'S SAFETY IN NUMBERS.

Buying your own is always an option, but I guess it sends a signal that the city is not about cars only. They promised such here in Miami Beach. I wonder what became of it?

Maybe if I do a Google search?

'While the "City of Lights" is the poster child for what's right and wrong about bike-sharing, it's only one of scores of programs springing up all around the world, including here in North America. Bike share programs are up and running in Washington, D.C., Philadelphia (see the short documentary below), and Miami Beach.'

Wow, it says they are out there! What have I been missing by being in the cage! Still around here you see monkeys riding Walmart bikes on sidewalks. They are true survivors, but it's really more dangerous than the road.

I'll check into Velib Miami.

Reply to
His Highness the TibetanMonkey