Re: Used Oil Analysis of CAMRY'S Pennzoil Platinum 5w-30 after 4,920 miles

And the winner is?

Reply to
HLS

Umm.... you're really not going to be able to make _any_ judgement at all with a single test on each oil.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

And what do you think you will find on a single data point that will tell you something that will help this?

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

They are very helpful for huge sump capacity engines and machinery, such as OTR truck engines and stationary generators. For a Camry, I agree :-)

Reply to
Toyota MDT in MO

What kind of stupid f****ng asshole pays $30,000 for a vehicle then quibbles over a measly view dollars re synthetic oil vs dino oil?

Reply to
Sharx35

Nearer $40,000, asshole.

Reply to
HLS

And there is the rub.

There probably ARE some people who have done good controlled studies on the subject, but they aren't going to be telling anyone about them because that's valuable proprietary information.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

Well, I am probably as stingy and tight with my money as ANYONE but I ONLY use syn oil in my 99 Camry 6 cyl. here in Edmonton, Canada. No matter HOW COLD it gets, e.g. -40, there is NO DRAG....car starts instantly. Try THAT with dino oil.

Going through Death Valley...no oil breakdown. Try THAT with dino oil.

Reply to
Sharx35

Fair enough. If you experience temperatures that low, then synthetic is one method to approach it. Block heaters are another.

Reply to
HLS

Oh, BS... You can heat your block for a long time for the cost of 5 litres of synthetic oil.

Where I got cold weather experience, our homes, hotels, and even some parking areas had provisions for block heaters.

Reply to
HLS

The TOTAL cost of the syn oil is NOT the figure to use. One should use the DIFFERENCE in price between SYN and DINO oil for a fair comparison. Incredible. Someone pays 40, 50, 60 thou for a vehicle and whines and moans about paying an extra buck a litre or so.

Reply to
Sharx35

I didnt whine and moan. The truth is not really in you, it is?

Why would I pay extra money for a product that the manufacturer doesnt recommend? That would be a little stupid, but maybe you would do this. Especially when the manufacturer tells me to change oil at 5000 miles?

Did your mama have any normal children?

Reply to
HLS

I'll second the yecch!

Reply to
Ray O

I wonder if the posters who "yecch" about human hair being hydrolyzed into a food item have similar reservations about "going down" there...orally.

Reply to
Sharx35

It's probably the #1 shoyu sold in this little town. The stuff was developed in Hawaii after the war to speed up shoyu production. Instead of waiting for friendly micro-organisms to break down the soy/wheat mash, heavy-duty acid is used instead. What a concept! I think they should use "One taste and it's Aloha!" as their motto. :-)

Human hair shoyu sounds like your standard internet hoax. What would lend some credibility to this story would be some statement from the FDA.

I've never heard of this before but I will be looking out for peanut shoyu. Speaking of VN stores, I like the Trung Nguyen coffee - it's remarkably smooth with a neat chocolate-like note. However, the little Vietnamese coffee makers has got to be one of the worst designs ever for a brewing system - to slow for Americans. Makes you want to drink tea instead. :-)

Reply to
dsi1

I could go for some right now! Not Kopi Luwak - just plain joe. :-)

I have not had the pleasure of drinking a Kopu Luwak although the Trung Nguyen site offers a special coffee that has been treated with enzymes to replicate a bean's travel through a weasel's gut called "Legendee." At $17 for 9 oz. I'd probably just get a pound of Kona. That's a smooth cup too. :-)

Reply to
dsi1

I had about 125,000 miles on a 93 V6. Sent oil for analysis. Like a trip to the doctor for the 60 and over checkups I thought. Good for that kind of thing? I was happy, and the cost is reasonable.

Reply to
webwalker

Dont complain while the flavor lasts.. Maybe the amino acid that caused the uproar was cysteine rather than carnitine.

The lower regions are probably used to make fish sauce.

Reply to
HLS