Removing door panel?

I have an 89 Corolla that has te rear window stuck about 2 inches from the closed position. Using the handle,it just clicks as if the window mechanism is stuck. I'd like to check it,but don't know how to rmove the handle and door panel. Any help would be appreciated. This group has helped me out many times. Thanks

Reply to
Herb

look for screws in the door handles and the door latch, and along the bottom of the panel as well, although there may not be any there.

Either go to AutoZone or CarQuest or ? and get a tool to remove the clip from the window handle. you can use the rag method (get a shop rag and wrap it under the window handle and work it back and forth until the retainer pops off), or just get a flat screwdriver or needlenose and reach behind and pry the clip off. Watch it; they have a tendancy to fly...

Check for screws on more time, grab the bottom of the door panel and pull gently. The plastic clips will release, than work it over the lock.

Since it's an '89, you may break some of the plastic clips; these can be had anywhere. If you pry gently enough you may not break any.

Good luck!

Reply to
Hachiroku

There is a metal panel remover that auto parts places sell for maybe $6 that makes it easy and prevents damage. It has a hook like projection for removing the window winder U clip. You can also use a shoe string to remove it. Make sure the door opener trim screw is removed, it should slide forward and out and arm rest screws. The using the tool or a putty knife go around the door panel and pop the catches --- mayne 12 of them total. Once panel is off you can gently remove the clear plastic moisture shield. Have some grease ready for the window mechanism.

Reply to
Wolfgang