Serpentine Belt Replacement & tensioner pulley

Hi,

I have a 2002 Corolla that sounded like a bad belt squeak or whatever. The shop says the belt needs replaced (that's fine, I haven't done it in 60,000 miles..) and they also said the tensioner pulley had a bearing going out causing the noise.

They're quoting $150 for the belt and tensioner pulley. That sound accurate or close? Will any tensioner pulley they put on suffice, or is that something that should surely be OEM only and not generic?

Just wondering.

Thanks!

Reply to
mrsteveo

Whether the price is reasonable or not depends on where you are located. Large metro areas tend to be higher than rural areas. $150 for the belt tensioner, and about an hour and a quarter labor sounds about right for a metro area. I doubt if aftermarket tensioners are available so the tensioner is probably OEM.

Reply to
Ray O

$150 for OEM is OK, I guess. Aftermarket belts go for $20-30 and a tensioner is $30-60.

But make sure this is it! The manual says...but the manual doesn't have ears to pinpoint the sound. It could be a water pump or alternator bearing.

And, in 259,000 on one car, and 240,000 on another, I never had to replace a tensioner.

Reply to
Hachiroku

I just have my tensioner pulley replaced for my 2001 Corolla for $305 at Dealer(not include belt). I was told that tensioner pulley was worn and belt was loosen up. I was warned about the danger of loosing the belt during the driving, so I did. But I know it was a mistake since I never noticed the belt was loosen up and I did replace the belt by myself a while ago. It was done during a warranty service for CAT converter within 80K mile.

Reply to
wenmang

FWIW, it appears there was a TSB regarding the tensioner assembly in some Toyota vehicles including the 2002 Corolla.

I also do a 7 hour freeway drive at about 80mph once a month too. Dunno if that affects the rate at which a 'bearing' would go bad..

Hachiroku =E3=83=8F=E3=83=81=E3=83=AD=E3=82=AF wrote:

Reply to
mrsteveo

Well, that's much different.

Nah. I made numerous trips from Hartford to Toronto twice a year, for seven years.

Reply to
Hachiroku