Replace Drive belt tensioner - also replace pulley??

Focus 2004 TDCi

When replacing an auxiliary drive belt tensioner is it good practice to also replace the crankshaft pulley even if it looks ok visually ?

auxiliary drive belt tensioner cost £29 crankshaft pulley cost £128 Definitely replacing the belt of course £24

Thanks

Reply to
Alt Beer

the pulley falls apart and makes an awful clacking noise. I should have remembered that, I had to change one on a mondeo. It will be that rather than the tensioner or the belt.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

remembered that, I had to change one on a mondeo. It

Thanks for the info. Would you replace the aux belt tensioner and the belt when changing the pulley? Car has travelled 99,500 miles. Cam belt kit is being fitted.

Reply to
Alt Beer

there is no requirement to, but at that mileage you might as well if you are keeping it, the xtra is trivial for the peace of mind

Reply to
Mrcheerful

keeping it, the xtra is trivial for the peace of mind

Yes that is the conclusion I came to. The car runs fine might as well replace those bits that are difficult / costly to get at at the same time for relatively little cost.

Cheers

Reply to
Alt Beer

I would get it done persoally, as it'll all be stripped down and easy to get at. If you leave it sods law is it will chuck a wobbly not long after and the cost will be silly to do, at that mileage definitely worth doing for the peace of mind.

Reply to
Matthew.Ridges

remembered that, I had to change one on a mondeo. It

No I think the metallic noise on my TDCi at startup and shutdown is the Aux belt tensioner but interesting about the clacking sound. I noticed it today. The sound is quite faint but clacking is a perfect description. Foot on or off the gas and the noise has gone to come back again some time later when crankshaft is at a certain rpm.

Reply to
Alt Beer

on the mondeo tdci the pulley is a two part affair with damper rubber between the two, the rubber breaks up and the two bits clack about. I found it was most noticeable with a heavy electrical loads turned on and just after starting. I would guess from the price that yours has a similar pulley.

Reply to
Mrcheerful