Sort of OT: JD Power vs. Consumer Reports

The Pennsylvania State Police banned FWD for patrol use many years ago because several Troopers where killed in FWD cars back then

mike hunt

Ray O wrote:

Reply to
MajorDomo

Sounds like Pennsylvania is way ahead of other state police agencies.

Hopefully, as consumers figure out that FWD isn't all that it was cracked up to be and start creating more demand for RWD cars, the police will start to get more choices for highway cruisers.

Reply to
Ray O

Awesome, I did not know that. Do Corollas have it as well, or just the pricier models?

Reply to
Ernie Sty

I agree, but I don't know of a more scientific source. If you know of one please point me to it.

Reply to
Ernie Sty

I do not dispute your assertion, but do you have a source for this information?

Reply to
Ernie Sty

AFAIK, all late model Toyotas use stainless steel in their exhausts.

Reply to
Ray O

How true! I sold my '85 Camry in '98 and it had 76,000 miles on it. I told the new owner it had just broken in! I kept seeing it for a few years and it had well over 200K on on the odo.

Ahhh, you make my point so eloquently. Our society has become very superficial, moi included. I'm sure there's a few engineers out there calculating their ROI when buying a new car, but most and large it's all about the spoiler. And the rims. And the hp....

Reply to
ravelation

When I've wanted to research a car and how people feel about it, I go to Edmunds.com and look at the reader's comments and consumer rating for the specific vehicle. You'll get a feel for the pros and cons, and any recurring problems like rattling dashes or leather that tends to crack. Their forum section is also another great wealth of info about specific models, and customer satisfaction can be gauged by reading archived info.

Awesome, thanks!!

Reply to
Ernie Sty

I have not yet been able to find reader's comments on that site, but the summary seems way off! See below:

"Pros: Good gas mileage, speedy acceleration, roomy and functional interior, Toyota reliability. " The gas mileage is good, the acceleration is fairly good for an economy car, the interior is poorly designed and awkward for tall people (I am 6'2")

"Cons: Cartoonish styling, annoying gauge placement, shaky handling, deceptively low base pricing." I don't give a damn about the styling as long as it's aerodynamic, gauges? gauges are fine, shaky handling!?!? WTF are you smoking?, Don't know about price deception.

Reply to
Ernie Sty

Shoot...when I get done with one of mine, I wonder who I can get to haul it out for free...

I used to trade every two years for one reason or another (usually because someone either ran into ME or pulled out in front of me!) My 80' went 6 years and I got 50% of my money back, the car I traded for is still in my backkyard 20 years later. i buy cars I like and have a hard time parting with them, since nothing is as good as what I already have.

Except for the IS300 Hatch that came in today....3 litre V-6, semi auto with shift buttons ON THE WHEEL! And RWD to boot? YEEEEEE HAAAAAAA!!!

My car for the NEXT 20 years????

Reply to
HachiRoku

"Ray O" wrote: snip

snip

Ray, I have a 2000 Corolla which has an SS muffler. Not sure about the pipes. I bought the car new and have never replaced the muffler. So is that SS muffler guaranteed for life?. The damned bracket bolt that holds it up to the frame broke at a very inoppurtune time and I patched it up with wire to get it home (damned thing was dragging on the pavement)...called the dealer, he said 'Go to Dan's muffler shop, be much cheaper' (which it was. no charge for the new bolt and a bit of electric weld to secure the other side bolt)

I didn't think to ask the dealer if the muffler and hangar was guaranteed...was it?...

Reply to
Gord Beaman

Only replacement mufflers, shocks, and struts installed by a Toyota dealer get the lifetime warranty. Unfortunately, the original stuff only has the warranty that came with the vehicle.

Reply to
Ray O

Ok, thanks Ray...I did suspect as much...and incidentally, the tech at Dan's said that this problem (with the bolt) is common on the Toyota.

Reply to
Gord Beaman

You're welcome!

Knowing how closely Toyota monitors warranty repairs, the problem is probably fixed on current production of replacement parts.

Reply to
Ray O

2003 Corolla.

I don't see a car as something I use to make myself look good to other people, I see it as a transportation device. Personally, I think the 2003 Corolla is ass-ugly, and when I say ass-ugly, I'm not talking a normal ass but a big, fat, flabby, pasty-white ass with thick black hairs and oozing boils appearing in random places, that's the kind of ass I mean. Some people like the Corolla's styling but that's what it looks like to me. I selected it for its predicted reliability first, and sticker price second, but I also like the fuel mileage and the relative peppiness for an econobox. As for a car's exterior design, the more aerodynamic it is, the more money it saves me on fuel, so if being the shape and color of a giant turd made the car the most aerodynamic, that's what I would prefer.

Even if I was wealthy, styling would be a low priority for the cars I'd drive, I would choose on performance, handling and comfort. I can only see making styling a major factor if I was buying it not to drive but to display or to put into storage as an investment.

Reply to
Ernie Sty

"Ray O" wrote: snip

Very likely...I love the Toyota for it's reliability...I'm somewhat handicapped (lungs - on oxygen) yet I feel safer driving that vehicle than I would in any other because of it's reliability and it's reputation for reliability.

Reply to
Gord Beaman