Sway bar bushings make THAT much of a difference?!

I had to replace another axle yesterday, and noticed the guy who replaced it the last time lost a LOT of hardware! A couple pieces were the collars that hold the sway bar bushings in place.

Well, naturally, I couldn't get just the collars, so I bought a Polyurethane bushing kit. $15, new bushings and collars.

What a BIOTCH getting them in there!!! I finally got the driver's side done, and then set out to the passenger's side...(considering how many HOURS it took to get the driver's side done, I was considering just leaving the old bushings, but realized the handling would be horrible)

The passenger's side was MUCH easier.

When I got everything together and took it out for a test spin, I was AMAZED at the difference in the feel of the car. Now, I figured replacing the bushings would have some effect, but not to the extent that I'm feeling in the car!

Now, for the rear...!

Reply to
Hachiroku

If the collars were not there then just putting them in did a LOT for your handling. Dont' credit all of the difference with the polyurethane!

If the hardware is all there, do NOT expect as much of an improvement as the front did. It will be better, but not to the extent of just getting the sway bar functioning did for the front.

Mike D.

Reply to
Mike Dobony

The huge difference is because you basically had no sway bar.

Reply to
RT

Actually, upon further 'investigation' I found the missing shim/collar/washer under the wheel cover when I went to put it back on. It must have been stuck to one of the bushings.

But yeah, considering the condition of the bushings, the sway bar probably wasn't doing all that much.

Reply to
Hachiroku