Engine block heaters

Anyone have experience with engine block heaters, either good or bad? Specific brands or types which ended up being pieces of crap, or especially well designed? Interested in comments on either of those extremes.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

I have a Pyroil, 400w that installs in a freeze plug on my '03 Tundra V8. I use a timer, 2-3 hrs before starting. Seems to work fine and makes me feel better about the coldest startups.

Reply to
dg

Freeze plug installation - something for a mechanic? Does it require draining out all the coolant?

Reply to
Doug Kanter

snip

snip

I've used and installed quite a few block heaters, mostly the type that replace a freeze plug. They don't use a lot of electricity and do a good job of cold start aid. They don't provide instant warm or hot air, if that's your goal then you need a tank type that is spliced into the radiator hose and/or heater hoses. You should be able to get a freeze plug style at any truck parts store, tractor parts store or heavy equipment parts store. I haven't looked for a tank type heater in several years but they used to be available at almost any parts store. HTH, davidj92

Reply to
davidj92

Definately requires draining the coolant and a fair amount of mechanical experience. If you don't have this, take it to a shop. You DO NOT want this puppy to start leaking. Imagine how I know this...

Reply to
dg

Contact local independent repair shops. They'll install brands which cause them no come-backs. Warming the engine on very cold days does decrease wear and extends the life of the engine, reduces heavy cold-start emissions, and gives you cabin heat MUCH sooner. Also consider synthetic engine oil and especially transmission fluid and powersteering fluid. All are much easier on the machinery when very cold.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Shelton