Temporarily reinstalling head to remove engine w/o damaging head?

Dealing with a Toyota 7MGE engine, I've discovered problems with my block so need to pull the engine/trans to take the block to the machine shop. However, I've already pulled the heads and had them surfaced and the engine lift hooks attach to the head.

So, to temporarily reinstall the head to pull the engine, and not mess up the head, should I reinstall the old head gasket - or maybe some cardboard or fiberboard with holes drilled for the bolts - and lightly tighten the bolts to like 15 lbs or something?

Thanks for all input.

Reply to
Doc

I would get 2 bolts that fit the head bolt holes in the block (don't use head bolts that you are going to use) and put a chain between them. Then just lift with the chain.

Reply to
Jeff

Sounds like a plan, I've got the old head bolts. 1000 thanks.

Reply to
Doc